1 serving of chilled possum

FishDr

I headed out today for what is likely  my last bass trip of the year  :cry: , a year that has not been the best for fishing for me.  Still, even though the water temperature was bouncing between 43 and 44F, I figured I'd give the Slammer and Baby Possum one last swim, even though I knew that a wiser person would work the Hudd or perhaps the RS.

I started off with the crackdown muskrat-colored Baby Possum and on my very first cast had a nice bass follow it in, but not commit.  Interesting.  I continued bombing out long, wind-assisted casts and cranking the Baby Possum back in but there was no joy.  At least, not while I was cranking.  Although the wind was howling I put some extra kick into my fins and worked my way to the upwind side of steeper bank.  As the 'toon shimmied in the waves, I fired off a cast parallel to the steep shore, and this time I just crawled the cranking possum back in, working carefully to keep it on the surface.  Right as it passed a little pile of cobbles, the Possum waddled a little more than it should have and I set the hook - fish on.  Not a giant, and on the XH Okuma it felt particularly small, but hey, when you've had a tough year, any fish is a good fish, and a fish on a waking bait in 44F water in late November?  Heck, that's as good as gold.

post-17912-0-87938400-1511229629_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I know, the bass is only just bigger than the Baby Possum, but I don't think I've caught a bass on top in water this chilly before.  Pretty cool stuff.  The rest of the trip was a non-event, swimbait-wise.  I kept working the Baby Possum, deadsticked/long-lined a floating Hudd, an ROF5 Hudd, and threw the 9" Slammer, but the fish didn't want to play.  I will admit to having my float 'n' fly rig along and I went 1 for 3 with it.  The 1 fish I landed was a nice chunky bass, about twice the size of the Baby Possum eater...but I'm not sharing that picture 'cause it isn't a swimbait fish. :oops:

Thanks everyone!

I think I may have to head out for bass one more time, just in case.  I'd love to be able to say that I caught a bass on a wake bait in Colorado in December!

There was skim ice on the ponds this morning, but an afternoon trip might yet pay dividends.