Anybody throw surface irons for bass?

thebeardedbassman

Grew up in So Cal in the 80s and 90s fishing out of Redondo Beach King Harbor and pinheading/deckhanding/deadheading on boats everywhere else from Marina Del Rey on the Del Mar and Long Beach/San Diego on the Aztec. We used to toss Tady irons for calicos, yellows and white seabass, which I'm sure you So Cal salty dawgs still do to this day. Have a ton of them ranging from surface to heavy yo-yo jigs and have always been curious if anybody has ever tried em for our beloved freshwater fat girls? Have always wanted to get a couple painted up in trout. I'm sure someone out there has to have tried this before? Any pics of trout Tadys out there?

To note, I moved out of Redondo Beach to a little town in Northern MN, called Hibbing at 18 years old. If anybody is a real Bob Dylan fan, they've heard of this town. If not, I'm sure nobody has ever heard of it lol. But that's about the last time I've been in So Cal. After MN, the rest of the family moved up to the central coast and my tadys have never seen the light. 20 years ago are the last time they've been wet.... I'm getting old :( Or I need some salt in my veins, has been waaaay too long.

Edited by Icefreak

When I first joined SU there was a rainbow trout painted surface iron on the Black Market.  I asked the seller if he had any experience fishing it, but I never got a reply.  I do know they work fine on East Coast stripers.

My dad used to catch the piss out of bass on weedless gold and black spoons. Huge flutter spoons have proven themselves repeatedly on big suspended fish. Surface irons have a similar profile, I don't see why a bass wouldn't eat the hell out of one.

There's a lot of lures around and all of them will catch fish that are not the target species. I bet you could troll a bubble plug, rip a huge GT popper, jig a big jigging spoon or a multitude of other "typical" salt water presentations and bass and stripers would murder them all.

Now that I think about it, one of those stupid huge 8+ in smooth flutter spoons painted like a rainbow trout would be reallll interesting to use...

Edited by Wes P

• 2 weeks later...

My dad bought a tady a1 awhile ago factory painted by tady in a rainbow trout colorway. Never fished it in freshwater because it was always in my saltwater bag, this post reminded me of it so I’m gonna put it in my freshwater box and see what I can do

post-21201-0-94546800-1520546882_thumb.jpg

post-21201-0-02803300-1520546901_thumb.jpg