Line Choice

SacrificeFishing

Big game is amazing for top water!  I like 30lb, but I fish my baits wrecklessly over 10-20ft of bullrush often and have broken off even with 30lb getting stuck.  If I was in a kayak i'd prob drop to 20-25lb.  For the other applications I just dont catch enough fish on those baits to really give a solid answer.   

Everything under 8oz on 20# CXX. Anything above 8oz 25#CXX. If I’m throwing small 5” soft swimbaits like STC, I’ll use 15#CXX because that’s what my conventional reels are spooled with. I trust that line 100%. Been spooling up with it for over 20 years now. 

11 minutes ago, SVT THUNDER said:

Everything under 8oz on 20# CXX. Anything above 8oz 25#CXX. If I’m throwing small 5” soft swimbaits like STC, I’ll use 15#CXX because that’s what my conventional reels are spooled with. I trust that line 100%. Been spooling up with it for over 20 years now. 

Don’t get me wrong I love 20lb CXX and still use it for larger wakes and glides but I’ve noticed a notable increase in the number of bites I get when I switch to 15 or 20lb Sunline assassin especially in baits that I’m fishing lower in the water column like crankdowns, softbaits, and more natural/slower moving glidebaits.

1 hour ago, Swimbait302 said:

Don’t get me wrong I love 20lb CXX and still use it for larger wakes and glides but I’ve noticed a notable increase in the number of bites I get when I switch to 15 or 20lb Sunline assassin especially in baits that I’m fishing lower in the water column like crankdowns, softbaits, and more natural/slower moving glidebaits.

I’m simply answering his question based on my knowledge and what works for me. I have fluorocarbon lines and CXX in all sizes. But my lake is always stained to dirty and has the thickest vegetation possible outside of some FL. lakes. Along with stumps, rocks and huge jagged shell bars. Other lines have failed. CXX has not. I spent time over the years throwing fluoro alongside my heavy CXX. For me …on this lake, it made no difference in bites. I don’t throw much of anything under 2.9oz. Occasionally I’ll sling a soft swimbait on 16# Sniper. But it’s simply for faster depth. 

Call me Cheap Chris:

20lb Seaguar Red Label Flourocarbon for bottom or sinking baits.

or 

17lb Berkley Big Game for top water. 

During the pandemic, when line was at a premium to purchase locally I tried these two lines, as they were readily available and was surprised by their strength and durability. 

Edited by Mossyback Angler