Most expensive lure you break off

BigBassLife133

I’ve broken off countless swimbaits on snags from the bank but always been able to retrieve them. If it’s in a tree, I’m climbing. If it’s stuck deep, I cut the line, tie to a bobber, toss it out. Come back the next day with my kayak, find the bobber and paddle over the snag to pull it out. Usually I’m fishing at night and come back super early so I’m not worried about anyone finding it. 

Sent my Pizz Beast Gill glide to the bottom of the pond behind my home last week.It’s out  about 60’ resting in about 10’ of water. I’ve laid in bed wondering how much it would cost to hire a diver…honestly.

They aren’t cheap but worse than that is trying to find another.

15 hours ago, bassbass said:

I lost a HPH, 3:16 gill, and one more I cant remember what is was, all on one trip.

Just curious, how did you loose a 3:16 gill broski? Doesn’t it float? The reason I am asking is so I can try not to lose mine. 

13 minutes ago, mjaygrunt said:

Just curious, how did you loose a 3:16 gill broski? Doesn’t it float? The reason I am asking is so I can try not to lose mine. 

Gill freestyle slow sink. 90% of the baits I fish are slow sink. So it sucks but that's what I do better on.

I bought a GFB with intentions of using it for striper in the CA aqueduct.  I had it painted by russell myers.  It looked dope.  I knew there was a good chance of losing it.  
There is a spot where i have been hing up prior.  I have lost an A rig, and a few cheap flukes in this spot.  
i think there is a small vertical ledge off the slope.   I can feel it as i drag the bottom. 

I added some heavier hooks and ring to the gfb to see what getting it down the current looks like.  This night as i was walking back to my truck i noticed some bait fish and thought one more cast.  Sure enough i snagged that ledge.  I was pretty upset with myself, i have purposely not thrown the gfb there.  But i did not take into account the heavier bait.  
i had Franks lure retriever.  I tried to use it.
there is a bridge right by.   I went on the bridge, i went over the bridge.  When i was on the other side it snapped.  I think the retriever was hitting the slope of the walls in the aqueduct and not getting to the lure     

Funny part is a teenagers we would jump off that very bridge at night after a few beverages.  When the weather and water warms up i will jump in and get my lure back! 

3 hours ago, B_larkin3 said:

I’ve broken off countless swimbaits on snags from the bank but always been able to retrieve them. If it’s in a tree, I’m climbing. If it’s stuck deep, I cut the line, tie to a bobber, toss it out. Come back the next day with my kayak, find the bobber and paddle over the snag to pull it out. Usually I’m fishing at night and come back super early so I’m not worried about anyone finding it. 

Dang, that bobber idea is great. 

9 inch Hiro shad glad in filmore trout, casted it off on the same point I caught my PB on. They drained the lake a few months after and I spent 2 hours walking around that area trying to find it and failed. That lake also has a gan craft jointed claw in it and a handful of Hudds. There's also a Bullshad of mine on a buoy line some where in the aqueduct.

Years ago when I was using a broomstick to chunk 7-9oz glides, I was fishing with a big custom Shad glide that are no longer made. It was the one that had that bit of magic to it. I have others just like it, but it out fished those for some reason. 

I was out on a long dock and the wind was ripping pretty good and they were also pulling current. So I was targeting a rock pile that’s about 5’ on top with deep water all around it. Always a great spot when there’s current. I had made a few casts already. It’s kind of hard to describe this, but I’ll try. 

The glide was tuned to suspend/xxxSS. I controlled the depth I started at simply by how I cast. If I wanted it deeper, I launched it overhand like a rainbow and let it crash into the water. I could simply raise my rod tip to get it to the level I wanted and lower the tip and swim it. Amazing bait. 

So I’m launching it like that to work over the top of that rock pile. Everything was fine. I came back and loaded the rod up and had just started to cast when a huge bass busted the surface right next to the dock. I instinctively tried to abort the cast. But the weight of that glide was loaded up and the rod sent the bait forward. I instantly felt and heard something and the lure had smacked into the rod and then according to my wife proceeded to wrap a hook around the rod, do a 360 and then exit forward into the abyss. My first concern was that I had broken the rod. That’s what it felt like. I looked down and the line was hanging over my hand. I looked up the rod and no damage. 

It was at that point I realized the lure was gone. Looking at my line, the hook had sliced right through it when it did a 360 around my rod and momentum sent the lure onward. My first instinct was to start tossing my phone, wallet etc onto the dock to jump in. But my wife stopped me and asked if I saw it land. I realized I saw it going way out into the deep and with the wind going one way and the current the opposite, it would be suspended in the water column drifting along and ever so slowly sinking. So I honestly had no clue where it was and It’s in 10-16’ of water out there….somewhere. 

I think I only paid $105 for the bait. But it was the most productive glide I owned 9” and up. It wasn’t about the money. It was about an irreplaceable glide with serious Mojo. We went back that night and I searched the lake and every inch of shoreline water with 1000 lumens of light for hours. I was just desperately hoping the wind and current would have Somehow pushed it towards land. But I knew full well it had pulled it out farther. 

I stared at the end of my line that night and never imagined a hook could slice so cleanly through 20lb line. But it had. So that’s my most expensive lure lost. But the cost of the lure was irrelevant. It was all about that lure and how amazing it was when working it. 

Edited by SVT THUNDER

11 hours ago, SVT THUNDER said:

Years ago when I was using a broomstick to chunk 7-9oz glides, I was fishing with a big custom Shad glide that are no longer made. It was the one that had that bit of magic to it. I have others just like it, but it out fished those for some reason. 

I was out on a long dock and the wind was ripping pretty good and they were also pulling current. So I was targeting a rock pile that’s about 5’ on top with deep water all around it. Always a great spot when there’s current. I had made a few casts already. It’s kind of hard to describe this, but I’ll try. 

The glide was tuned to suspend/xxxSS. I controlled the depth I started at simply by how I cast. If I wanted it deeper, I launched it overhand like a rainbow and let it crash into the water. I could simply raise my rod tip to get it to the level I wanted and lower the tip and swim it. Amazing bait. 

So I’m launching it like that to work over the top of that rock pile. Everything was fine. I came back and loaded the rod up and had just started to cast when a huge bass busted the surface right next to the dock. I instinctively tried to abort the cast. But the weight of that glide was loaded up and the rod sent the bait forward. I instantly felt and heard something and the lure had smacked into the rod and then according to my wife proceeded to wrap a hook around the rod, do a 360 and then exit forward into the abyss. My first concern was that I had broken the rod. That’s what it felt like. I looked down and the line was hanging over my hand. I looked up the rod and no damage. 

It was at that point I realized the lure was gone. Looking at my line, the hook had sliced right through it when it did a 360 around my rod and momentum sent the lure onward. My first instinct was to start tossing my phone, wallet etc onto the dock to jump in. But my wife stopped me and asked if I saw it land. I realized I saw it going way out into the deep and with the wind going one way and the current the opposite, it would be suspended in the water column drifting along and ever so slowly sinking. So I honestly had no clue where it was and It’s in 10-16’ of water out there….somewhere. 

I think I only paid $105 for the bait. But it was the most productive glide I owned 9” and up. It wasn’t about the money. It was about an irreplaceable glide with serious Mojo. We went back that night and I searched the lake and every inch of shoreline water with 1000 lumens of light for hours. I was just desperately hoping the wind and current would have Somehow pushed it towards land. But I knew full well it had pulled it out farther. 

I stared at the end of my line that night and never imagined a hook could slice so cleanly through 20lb line. But it had. So that’s my most expensive lure lost. But the cost of the lure was irrelevant. It was all about that lure and how amazing it was when working it. 

Sounds like your wife may have saved your bacon on that one.