Diving hard swimbaits

Triv

So i went out last Friday night and was having a slow night. I threw on a Fish Arrow Deep Jack Jr. and started nailing fish. I caught two largemouth, a smallie, and a catfish in no time. Love the bait, but man it fell apart. The paint is trashed and one of the screws holding the joints together pulled out. Quality just isnt there. Does anyone know of another bait that'll get down to +/- 8 feet and stay there at a slow retrieve? Why arent there more baits that are similar?

You might have to have someone custom make one for you, or just make one yourself. I know there are some guys on here that can do that for you. Pat's would be a great option but they're difficult to obtain from what I gather. But the crank down is where it's at ;)

I hear you, I've been trying to find a bait like that for a while now. It seems like a market need that isn't being met. I probably need to just try to mod something I have.

I tried a lucky crafted jointed pointer XD (and I've never been much of a lucky craft fan) that really gets down, but don't really like the swim action that much. The body "bends" more than "swims", and I kind of put it away pretty quickly.

So i went out last Friday night and was having a slow night. I threw on a Fish Arrow Deep Jack Jr. and started nailing fish.

Interesting timing. I talked to Mickey on Friday and asked him if he would make a version of the Baby Wake with a square bill that would dive down to 6-8 feet or so. I love the tight wiggle on that bait when you crank it down, but it will only go a foot or so deep. A bait like a Baby Wake that would get down and bounce off stumps/timber/boulders would kill here. Unfortunately, Mickey told me he had no plans to do that. : /

But he did say he is working on some diving/suspending hard baits. And, you could try to find a sinking Hyper Herring.

I should have been more specific. I found a couple Savage Gear baits that I am going to try. They have a few 7-1/2" baits that are made to dive. I was looking for a multi joint bait that dives.

Some of you may have seen this, but it works great. Added lead to make the bait suspend, and the bill gets it down.

DSC_0721_zps24e9a2bf.jpg

DSC_0722_zps71d5f635.jpg

825d5aad-3e5b-4b25-9858-1f815707829b_zps24c95d3d.jpg

Great technique. The Deps silent killer 175 and 250 work well.

You can get deeper too and stay down on the slow crawl by fishing fluro.

Didn't know the silent killers would get down, looked more like a wake bait. Might have to pick one up.

So i went out last Friday night and was having a slow night. I threw on a Fish Arrow Deep Jack Jr. and started nailing fish. I caught two largemouth, a smallie, and a catfish in no time. Love the bait, but man it fell apart. The paint is trashed and one of the screws holding the joints together pulled out. Quality just isnt there. Does anyone know of another bait that'll get down to +/- 8 feet and stay there at a slow retrieve? Why arent there more baits that are similar?

I wonder the same, why aren't there more, but I enjoy that there aren't! I think a big bait that pulls that hard wears guys out that try. also it seems after 4-5ft guys switch right to the soft baits. I kneel and reel with my deep divers and can get below 10' with some. I think hardbaits have got a topwater/shallow stigma on them, which is fine with me really :lol::lol:

Could always get a slow sink bait, fluoro line (mono if you want it to hang some), and count it down.

Is there any specific reason it has to be billed? Is because you want it to float instead of sink when/if you stop reeling for some reason? Just wondering not busting your balls...

sinking baits and lipped diving baits react totally different underwater to action imparted, float up and away from cover. It like a crankbait, if you want a crankbait to go deeper to you just get a sinking one or one with a lip that dives deeper?

Also, a lot of the schools of fish on my waters move around pretty quickly following bait. Bigger fish are ofter lower in the water column, and you don't always have time to count a bait down.

Ceaser, do you have a website for your bait or something? I thought I remembered one, but maybe I'm imagining it. Anyways, do you take requests (once I replenish my bait buying funds).