Dobyns 794SB

Snookonfly

Interested in the SU community’s  opinions on the Dobyns 794SB rod.  Currently, I have a 795SB and it works well. The tackle junkie in me says I need a step down for lighter baits.  I have a ton of treble hook baits under 3 oz and thinking this may have a spot in the line up.  Couldn’t find really any input or reviews online so any info would be greatly appreciated!

8 hours ago, B_larkin3 said:

794 is good for light baits like TKs, I would say it maxes out at 2 oz. 

That’s what I needed to know. I was thinking it might run lighter than the specs.  May stick w what I know in that 795SB. That 795 is a great rod. 

Not trying to  threadJack this but I'm in the same boat got alot of baits under 3ozs.    I was thinking of getting a rod for bigger crankbaits.  Instead of a swimbait specific rod.       Do any of guys do that instead of buying a swimbait rod?

13 hours ago, basssavage24/7 said:

Not trying to  threadJack this but I'm in the same boat got alot of baits under 3ozs.    I was thinking of getting a rod for bigger crankbaits.  Instead of a swimbait specific rod.       Do any of guys do that instead of buying a swimbait rod?

I use a Dobyn's Champion XP 806 crank bait rod for baits like the S-Waver 168. It is designed for 10XD crank baits which is why I purchased it in the first place. It launches the bait very easy. No expert, but might be more parabolic than some prefer in a SB rod where big fish are plentiful.

14 hours ago, basssavage24/7 said:

This is the way. 3/4-3oz moderate or moderate/slow.

It feels scary to cast as first, but once you find the confidence that the rod is going to load up, a ton, it will cast a mile.

Run thin hooks, and go easy on the hook sets.

1 hour ago, RSL6 said:

I use a Dobyn's Champion XP 806 crank bait rod for baits like the S-Waver 168. It is designed for 10XD crank baits which is why I purchased it in the first place. It launches the bait very easy. No expert, but might be more parabolic than some prefer in a SB rod where big fish are plentiful.

That's what I'm looking for because I need a rod that's not going to pull hooks. Because  I plan on using it for big trout and gaint smallmouth where headshakes and digging deep is been a huge problem for me with these smaller hooks  on 795 for me.

The 794 is a great rod and it’s sweet spot is 1+ to 2+ oz imo. My only issue with the rod is I wish it had a longer handle but u get used to it. It’s also light weight and you’re throwing light baits so that’s another reason the short handle is ok. Quality rod.

794 is a must have imo. For those g2 cracker to Tk sized baits it’s 10x better than the 795. Casts them better and keeps small hooks from pulling out. I toss the cracker, Tk, FWL gill, bgc wake and crank gills, el Raton, Gatordog dogfish, and so on. Even does ok with a 7” slammer and freestyle shad, HH and baby wake. Hard to explain, but it’s way different than the 795. But a better rod overall I think