Price Markups

GavinDH

Good morning SU,

I haven’t been in the community for very long, but I’ve seen this trend of people getting on drops and then reselling baits for ridiculous prices. I understand that if people would stop paying these prices it wouldn’t happen but it’s gotten crazy! I find it hard to believe someone would pay over 150 dollars to see if they like a bait rather than just looking it up on YouTube. All that’s happening is people who genuinely want the bait on drop day are losing out to people just wanting to make a profit. It’s truly disgusting and puts a bad look on the community. I apologize if this was not to right place to air out my concern or if my take is too biased but it’s just been getting under my skin for the past few months. I’m sure this isn’t a new thing but it seems to be happening on a weekly/monthly basis. And obviously not everyone does this and to the people that resell for the retail or below retail I truly and whole heartedly thank you. Please let me know what you’re views are on this topic. Thank you all for reading I hope you have a great week. Tight lines!

Been happening forever and as long as people keep paying it will keep happening. Happened 10 years ago and will be happening in another 10. Don't worry about it is not worth the stress. The hype bait will change and you will be able to get whatever you want sooner or later. Patience 

5 minutes ago, MA Frog Man said:

Been happening forever and as long as people keep paying it will keep happening. Happened 10 years ago and will be happening in another 10. Don't worry about it is not worth the stress. The hype bait will change and you will be able to get whatever you want sooner or later. Patience 

Thank you for your response! I really appreciate the insight!

1 minute ago, B_larkin3 said:

There are so many quality baits that often perform better than the hype baits that get flipped. I wouldn’t worry about it too much. DRT are often available as well as Bullshad products. 

I completely understand that, the baits that are being marked up really don’t interest me, I just hate seeing people in the community getting taken advantage of. Thank you very much!

13 minutes ago, GavinDH said:

I completely understand that, the baits that are being marked up really don’t interest me, I just hate seeing people in the community getting taken advantage of. I love you so Thank you very much!

I don’t see it as getting ripped off or taken advantage of if it’s two consenting adults making the transaction. Reselling happens in every niche market, often times worse than the swimbait community. 

17 minutes ago, GavinDH said:

Good morning SU,

I haven’t been in the community for very long, but I’ve seen this trend of people getting on drops and then reselling baits for ridiculous prices. I understand that if people would stop paying these prices it wouldn’t happen but it’s gotten crazy! I find it hard to believe someone would pay over 150 dollars to see if they like a bait rather than just looking it up on YouTube. All that’s happening is people who genuinely want the bait on drop day are losing out to people just wanting to make a profit. It’s truly disgusting and puts a bad look on the community. I apologize if this was not to right place to air out my concern or if my take is too biased but it’s just been getting under my skin for the past few months. I’m sure this isn’t a new thing but it seems to be happening on a weekly/monthly basis. And obviously not everyone does this and to the people that resell for the retail or below retail I truly and whole heartedly thank you. Please let me know what you’re views are on this topic. Thank you all for reading I hope you have a great week. Tight lines!

I haven't been a member long either but when I was introduced to SU I was told it was a place where you could buy and trade baits among people for equal or lesser value of the bait depending on how much it has been used. Needless to say the premium baits I've purchased has cost me double which is about as bad as EBay. I'm not really complaining about it much because the people I bought the baits from I feel they needed the money more than the bait at the time. The bad thing though is this only causes a chain reaction because if I were to sell them now I would have to  at least get 90% of my money back. If everyone traded or sold their baits for retail all us hard workers could enjoy all of the different baits out there. But it is what it is and I'll just keep doing whatever has to be done.

2 minutes ago, B_larkin3 said:

I don’t see it as getting ripped off or taken advantage of if it’s two consenting adults making the transaction. Reselling happens in every niche market, often times worse than the swimbait community. 

I get that, I just see it as a someone knowing that someone else wants something they can’t get and using that to their personal gain. I get the consent but it feels more manipulative than consenting imo. But I understand where you’re coming from. Thank you so much for your input!

2 minutes ago, Phil A. said:

I haven't been a member long either but when I was introduced to SU I was told it was a place where you could buy and trade baits among people for equal or lesser value of the bait depending on how much it has been used. Needless to say the premium baits I've purchased has cost me double which is about as bad as EBay. I'm not really complaining about it much because the people I bought the baits from I feel they needed the money more than the bait at the time. The bad thing though is this only causes a chain reaction because if I were to sell them now I would have to  at least get 90% of my money back. If everyone traded or sold their baits for retail all us hard workers could enjoy all of the different baits out there. But it is what it is and I'll just keep doing whatever has to be done.

Thank you for your message! I agree with what you’ve said and the part about people needing the money more than the bait was something I didn’t really think about. So thank you for giving me more insight into this topic!

If I want something bad enough I’ll pay up but I think that goes for a lot of people. This isn’t like conventional fishing. I see swimbait fishing as a sun genre like in the underground music scene that I’ve been apart of my whole life. Only some people will understand $200 bait or $1000 combo. It’s not for everyone and I don’t think it was meant to be for everyone. People buy and sell for profit in every market and in every sport/ hobby. A lot of these baits you can’t look up on YouTube because of the exclusivity of them and it’s nice to see DRT’s are a little easier to get these days but when you have a lot of great garage bait makers doing it on their own with limited support and they gain traction it’s hard for them to keep up with the demand and that causes the high price tag when they come to market second hand regardless. Like someone else said there are plenty of great baits at lower prices that get the job done. 

how to stop it? You can’t unless every bait maker that has a bait that’s in high demand can get them to market faster and make them more readily available. 

When people click on a tab that says "Black Market" they really expect it to be a place thats fair and equitable? Should we change the name to "Grey Market"? 

Don't want it, don't buy it. This goes for guys complaining about bait makers who take a long time to deliver baits. STOP SENDING THEM MONEY. But they won't because they want the latest hype bait. Get out of line, I guarantee there's 10 people waiting to take your place. But it's more fun to complain and talk about class action lawsuits against people you willingly sent money to for a bait that your never going to fish and are going to sell anyway. All for an Instagram post and to get outfished by a guy throwing shiners on a bobber at the ramp.

2 hours ago, Spencer_518 said:

If I want something bad enough I’ll pay up but I think that goes for a lot of people. This isn’t like conventional fishing. I see swimbait fishing as a sun genre like in the underground music scene that I’ve been apart of my whole life. Only some people will understand $200 bait or $1000 combo. It’s not for everyone and I don’t think it was meant to be for everyone. People buy and sell for profit in every market and in every sport/ hobby. A lot of these baits you can’t look up on YouTube because of the exclusivity of them and it’s nice to see DRT’s are a little easier to get these days but when you have a lot of great garage bait makers doing it on their own with limited support and they gain traction it’s hard for them to keep up with the demand and that causes the high price tag when they come to market second hand regardless. Like someone else said there are plenty of great baits at lower prices that get the job done. 

how to stop it? You can’t unless every bait maker that has a bait that’s in high demand can get them to market faster and make them more readily available. 

I didn’t think of it like that. You’re exactly right most fisherman wouldn’t understand the 200 dollar bait or 1000 dollar combo. I appreciate your input! Like I said I’m newer to this community and I really appreciate everyone’s input. Thank you!

2 hours ago, MA Frog Man said:

When people click on a tab that says "Black Market" they really expect it to be a place thats fair and equitable? Should we change the name to "Grey Market"? 

Don't want it, don't buy it. This goes for guys complaining about bait makers who take a long time to deliver baits. STOP SENDING THEM MONEY. But they won't because they want the latest hype bait. Get out of line, I guarantee there's 10 people waiting to take your place. But it's more fun to complain and talk about class action lawsuits against people you willingly sent money to for a bait that your never going to fish and are going to sell anyway. All for an Instagram post and to get outfished by a guy throwing shiners on a bobber at the ramp.

I have no issue supporting the bait maker. I think it’s the right thing to do! I completely agree with you on the “stop sending them money” part. I’ve seen a lot of complaints on Andrew Hinkle for that, but like you said get out of line if you aren’t gonna wait! And I’m not saying that people aren’t being fair. I get the low production will drive the price up. I more so meant that people just buy the bait just to flip. I get that this stuff happens in every community, I guess I’m just too new to see the true nature of how people will treat products in high demand. Thank you so much for your input, you’ve given me a lot better of a sense of understanding.