SU Supply Co Split Rings

manansalsa

3 hours ago, captainhookset said:

If it ain't broke...

My thoughts too, weird that SU tried to enter that niche. Was trying to see if their split rings were some kind of collab with another company but it doesn't look like it.

I just received them in size 3 and 4.  The lb test rating seem to defy physics (SU size 4 = 100lb, where as Owner Hyper Wire size 4 = 50lb).  I have no way to quantitatively measure their claims.  

I'm very interested as to who the actual manufacturing party is.  I thought it might say in fine print on the package somewhere, but it is not present.

Its a very small, but intriguing product.  If someone out there actually puts them on a tensile strength type device to get a numeric failure rating I would be curious to see the results.  For SU to absurdly overstate (double that of Owner) the rating would be to really cheapen the brand as "claiming anything for the sale".  But, its one, small, inexpensive product in their vast line of clothing and other collaborations which make up all their business.  

I guess there is a part of me wondering if they partnered with a terminal tackle company and perhaps are employing some of the newer 'hybrid' alloys along the lines of Owner's Zero Wire line of thinner yet stronger hooks.

If the ratings are true, even if they are 75% of their stated value it would be a groundbreaking product.  

Edited by KeepinItReelFishing

I was under the impression that they were just rosco black split rings, but could be wrong. Been using rosco rings for like 15 years for stripers and never had an issue, starting using these black ones for swimbaits maybe 3-4 years ago and they work awesome

The ratings on the SU ones seem way off overall. Typo? 

D32B2537-8067-48A9-B778-C1B0E700088F.jpeg

D4B89708-A3CC-4188-9F30-7E98889D270A.jpeg

The rings are custom made for SU not a collaboration with any company.  With any product sold we always test on the water prior to selling. The ratings we have are based on actual tests done by the factory. 

These rings are TOUGH and I would not be surprised if the lb ratings are accurate. Not sure how they will last with repetitive use/swapping btw baits (which I do a lot), but they seem a lot stronger than the Owners that I have always used. The one downside to their strength is there is no way that I can get them open safely without a good pair of split rings pliers, and even then I have to be careful not to stab myself with my hooks…but if I have a hard time opening them with pliers then I feel pretty confident that big fish will have a harder time opening them with their face haha.

14 hours ago, swimbaitunderground said:

The rings are custom made for SU not a collaboration with any company.  With any product sold we always test on the water prior to selling. The ratings we have are based on actual tests done by the factory. 

Will there ever be a silver version to go with baits that have a white underbelly so as not to have out of place black circles on the belly? if these ratings are even close to true then I'd be interested in getting some in a silver version.

1 hour ago, BASS_SWINGER said:

Hyper wire is the way to go less bites with the black rings it seems

This is an intriguing comment. 

But is this something you experienced  consistently?

Honestly, from my own perspective, I wouldn’t have consider a small ring, be it black or silver, to be a major focal point to deter a fish from biting. Considering all the other metal hardware hanging, swinging and moving on a bait. If I were to take this into consideration, I would have thought the black would be more stealthy, as it won’t reflect light and shimmer. 

Truth be told, I have not done any testing or really paid attention to a small detail like the color of a spilt ring. So I am not questioning your experience. I am just researching, for my own and others knowledge, as any small detail that can give an angler even a 1% edge is worth taking into consideration.

Edited by Mossyback Angler

3 hours ago, Mossyback Angler said:

This is an intriguing comment. 

But is this something you experienced  consistently?

Honestly, from my own perspective, I wouldn’t have consider a small ring, be it black or silver, to be a major focal point to deter a fish from biting. Considering all the other metal hardware hanging, swinging and moving on a bait. If I were to take this into consideration, I would have thought the black would be more stealthy, as it won’t reflect light and shimmer. 

Truth be told, I have not done any testing or really paid attention to a small detail like the color of a spilt ring. So I am not questioning your experience. I am just researching, for my own and others knowledge, as any small detail that can give an angler even a 1% edge is worth taking into consideration.

think it depends more on the color of the belly of the bait you're fishing. for ex, white belly = silver hardware, not black/bronze hardware

On 5/25/2022 at 9:06 PM, Morgan Y said:

Will there ever be a silver version to go with baits that have a white underbelly so as not to have out of place black circles on the belly? if these ratings are even close to true then I'd be interested in getting some in a silver version.

We offer silver in bulk for bait makers.