DRT K9 LO

Spencer_518

3 hours ago, Spencer_518 said:

I thin you answered some of my questions. I'm going to pick up some lead strips and play with it some more. 

Any experience with a hi float model?

Thanks for the info

No experience with hi floats at all.

5 hours ago, CAG said:

I’ve had luck with lip in using it as a deep crank along the edges of grass lines.

I’m definitely going to try this with that bait. For me I love a bait that is really reactive and can be twitches close to cover. I figure this would be my best bet for that because that’s what I see all over in the videos that are out there. I think the Lo float just isn’t for me but I’m going to keep messing with it

1 hour ago, Spencer_518 said:

I’m definitely going to try this with that bait. For me I love a bait that is really reactive and can be twitches close to cover. I figure this would be my best bet for that because that’s what I see all over in the videos that are out there. I think the Lo float just isn’t for me but I’m going to keep messing with it

I prefer lo float for k9 and hi for TK personally.  Just keep at it.

13 hours ago, Spencer_518 said:

DRTs react pretty good with rod twitches with or with out the lip. The glide on it is phenomenal Lo floats are my favorite. I hate hi float baits because they rise to fast.

16 minutes ago, BayAreaAngler said:

I’m lo for both, glide both of em around structure or into it 

I like the hi tk because I can burn it really well right under the surface, like a Hypershad. Plus I treat it like a top water really. Tried the lo and just found I preferred the hi for the action.

1 hour ago, CAG said:

I like the hi tk because I can burn it really well right under the surface, like a Hypershad. Plus I treat it like a top water really. Tried the lo and just found I preferred the hi for the action.

I feel like a hi would be great for transfer tail then near structure. I’ve had my lo floats eaten off the surface just dead sticking it

its definantly a tool worth learning i have had my most sucess prespawn fishing it in mode a and as a glide with v tail and 1/4 ounce grenade weight hooked to back hook hanger this gets a nice glide out of the bait mode b ive have sucess around cover post spawn also dead walk with roll lip and v tail around cover 

if you do your research i can almost promise youll find sucess in tk k9 and ghost honestly your options are endless if your willing to think and put time into the bait most anglers want immediate success with a bait and often over look things 

if you learn to work and tune this bait your success  as a big bait angler will grow there is tuning methods used for these baits that while enhance the action of other baits as well 

put the time in and youll reap the rewards theres plenty of cast to catch to prove the bait works the rest is on you my  friend 

• 10 months later...

Does anybody have issues with the front treble always catching the line? Kept fouling on me today. I’ve changed the hooks out also to a smaller size. Was thinking it could be the rod as it’s rated to 3.5oz and can’t handle it. I don’t know and it was frustrating 

This is an old thread but I’ll add as well, by no means am I a K9 expert, but I’ve started to get the bait down (and ran into an issue)

5 hours ago, Sean k said:

Does anybody have issues with the front treble always catching the line? Kept fouling on me today. I’ve changed the hooks out also to a smaller size. Was thinking it could be the rod as it’s rated to 3.5oz and can’t handle it. I don’t know and it was frustrating 

In regards to this, I definitely had this issue and still do every once in a while. Only sometimes though, using a swivel to connect to the spit ring rather than tying to the welded ring may have helped it for me but not sure. 

In terms of the bait itself, I had a good few days in Florida with it to boost my confidence, and I usually fish it in glide mode but recently bought a Vtail to deadwalk it, until I realized my bait is taking on water and sinks. Still fiddling with it to fix the issue because I want to fish it!

Used to have a TK, couldn’t figure it out, and have a KO and its still not great but maybe I’m not used to it!

On 4/15/2023 at 6:42 PM, Sean k said:

I found that when you give it hard reel bumps / rod twitches and let it pause for too long it will actually turn on itself and thats when the line will catch the font hook. If you give it slack this becomes more of an issue. It doesn't happen if you keep up the pace or you keep the line semi-tight on the pause.

1 hour ago, bassbass said:

Take it out the box and cast it out. Crank it down and use different retrieves. You should catch something.

That’s the way !! I’ll hopefully figure it out it’s just super annoying