Lure retriever

WaterWolf44

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2022 at 1:31 PM, Jim137a said:

or you can pay a kid like I did to swim for your Cali Dream K9

I've been in the water 20+ times this season retrieving lures from 2' to 7' deep. After the first few, I bought a cheap pair of aqua socks that I keep in my backpack at all times... my feet were getting torn up from the rocks and brush. 

Luckily I had an inexpensive lure retriever in my truck today - got my Pyscho Gill caught up in some timber.

As others have said from the bank it’s definitely a challenge - my only saving grace was I was high up on a bank and was able to get a good angle on the bait. 

It’s def a lot easier with 2 people - one to hold the rod tip high and keep tension on the line to the lure and the other to slide the retriever down the fishing line and to keep the retriever line fron tangling and becoming a mess. 

If you’re solo bank fishing and you and don’t have the advantage of being on higher ground the chances of it working are slim to none IMO. 

The other trick I learned is to not slam the retriever weight down to the lure but let it slide down the line and let the weight slowly knock the bait out with a gentle taps.  

The weight that came with my retriever was pretty small so I bought and additional weight - the black one in the photo. 

F5A65665-16A6-49B4-91A9-26E8A9F9EF28.jpeg