Rod Advice -- Lew's SuperDuty Speed Stick 7'6"

MrRazorback

Hi all,

Finally created an account after reading and following along for a while. I would like some advice/input regarding a new swimbait rod. At the end of last year, I purchased my first swimbait rod, a Dobyns Fury 806. I feel like I went a little too ambitious, and I'm looking for something a little smaller. I plan to keep the 806 and expand to bigger baits, but right now I'm looking for something a little smaller and more suited for 6" Magdrafts, S-Waver 168s, Gantarel/Gantarel Jr, etc.

I've considered picking up a 795, as the lure rating fits a little more closely to what I'd like to start off throwing, but I'd also like something shorter. I also came across a Lew's Super Duty Speed Stick 7'6" Heavy (1-4 oz) that would be perfect length-wise. Does anybody have feedback on one of these? 

As for the reel, I have a Lews SuperDuty 300. I'm hoping my reel isn't overkill for what I plan to throw with it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I don't have any experience with the Lew's but I do have the Fury 795sb. It's perfect for the baits you mentioned. I personally don't like anything under 7' 9" for swimbaits. You need that extra length and power to set the hook at the end of a long cast. 

I think a 200 size reel would be much better suited for the smaller stuff and the 300 size on your 806 as well. 

I appreciate the feedback. I do a lot of kayak fishing, so I'm trying to find something a little shorter that wouldn't be as cumbersome to use while kayaking. While doing some browsing through the site, I came across a Daiwa Tatula 7'3" that's rated up to 4 oz. I might have to do a little more research on it... Something in that 7'3" - 7'6" range is what I'm looking for.

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2022 at 2:59 PM, MrRazorback said:

Hi all,

Finally created an account after reading and following along for a while. I would like some advice/input regarding a new swimbait rod. At the end of last year, I purchased my first swimbait rod, a Dobyns Fury 806. I feel like I went a little too ambitious, and I'm looking for something a little smaller. I plan to keep the 806 and expand to bigger baits, but right now I'm looking for something a little smaller and more suited for 6" Magdrafts, S-Waver 168s, Gantarel/Gantarel Jr, etc.

I've considered picking up a 795, as the lure rating fits a little more closely to what I'd like to start off throwing, but I'd also like something shorter. I also came across a Lew's Super Duty Speed Stick 7'6" Heavy (1-4 oz) that would be perfect length-wise. Does anybody have feedback on one of these? 

As for the reel, I have a Lews SuperDuty 300. I'm hoping my reel isn't overkill for what I plan to throw with it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

For s waver 168 and under 2 oz I use the bass pro 7’2 heavy crankin stick it’s rated to 2 oz it’s basically me dedicated small treble rod.