To snap or not to snap

boomah21

Snaps sure are convienent when in search mode and trying a variety of hard baits, but I still haven't tested a big fish using one. Bill Semientel has an interesting theory on knot wear and how useing a snap eleminates it. I have not used snaps much in the last few years because I can't put the rising son down! There definetly is something to what Seth was talking about with the body roll. I know because he was smoking me! Need to test the theory with a hudd this spring!

Jason,

I don't use snaps. I tried the Decoys. They are beautiful, but I heard just one story and now they scare me. I tie direct, even on Slammers. I haven't experimented with actions using Split Rings, but I will after some of the comments here.

Seth,

I have a story about a Slammer. I had one with an asymmetrical joint that made it slowly walk to the left. On a long cast it would slide about 5'. I tied direct to this bait. It straight up outfished my friends for a few months... I wish I still had that bait! Something to be said about a great bait with a strange nuance.

I go back and forth on this issue a lot! I've used a few different snaps, couple different split rings; and direct. The ONLY snaps and split rings I'll use are Decoy Egg Snaps and Owner Hyperwire rings. The rings are VERY strong, don't warp when you twist them over a big hook eye; yet they aren't really large in size. The Decoy Egg Snaps are the best snaps I've used. I've caught some big fish on them and have yet to have them pull out on a fish or snag. I've caught teen largemouth with them, 22 pound cats, DD stripers; and the snaps have held. My buddy even fished a Hudd with one for a few hours, didn't close it right; and never casted it off or had it come open all the way. I didn't even know it until he got the bait hung up and I pulled it up with the lure retriever. Don't get me wrong, I have heard stories and I believe them to be true; but I haven't had any issues yet when it mattered.

With that said, I find myself using snaps less and less. I used to use them on Hudds exclusively. I used to use them on Punkers and various other baits. But now, I find myself tying direct more and more. I tie direct to Hudds, Punkers, various hardbaits; etc. It can change the action on some baits. Some baits will swim better with a snap or split ring than without one. Basically on most baits, if they come with a good split ring; I tie to it. If they don't, in most cases; I tie direct. Only exception is BIG BIG BIG baits. On 12" baits; I use a #5 Decoy Egg Snap. That size snap is a beast! VERY VERY STRONG!

Next year I may use snaps more again, who knows. LOL Two years ago I was all about the snaps; now I don't use them as much. Fishing still goes on and the fish still bite :twisted: ! LOL

Arden

Mickey, Jesus Christ man lay off the poor guy. I guess I'm missing some history between you to. But he isnt flaming anyone or talking sh!t just giving an opinion on a tech article, and you keep bashing all over him. What gives? Did this guy put his fingers in your kool-aid or something. :roll:

Mickey,

How in the world could you have a problem with Arden. I don't understand... Have you ever spent time with him or his Father? They are two amazing people. They would give you the shirt off their backs. There was absolutely no reason to write the post you did. Arden has been fishing with Swimbaits longer than most of the members of this forum. I certainly listen every time he takes a minute to write. I know others do too. If you don't want him or I contributing to this Forum, let us know. I understand that you may have something against him personallly, but is this Forum is definitely not the place to be an @$$hole or try to discredit someone that you just don't like. Call me at 949.940.6111 if you feel like getting something off your chest.