Hard Won MA PB

mrlang123

I've been fishing most of my life in Massachusetts and caught countless fish in the 4-5lb range but never seemed to be able to break 5. Fishing swimbaits exclusively for the past 2 years on a quest to catch a big one. Earlier this week I was stoked to finally break my curse with a nice 5lb 4oz largemouth, tying the PB smallmouth I caught last year. Got back out there today and managed this 6lb 14oz tank on the BGC crankdown gill painted by Bill Barton. I've been slaying on this bait with a couple of 15+ fish days and knew if I kept at it I'd find a trophy. The way this bait fishes it cranks down roughly 3-5 feet and where I have been fishing has weeds right at that depth. So I am constantly catching the tops of the weeds and ripping the bait out. Well this morning I ripped it out of the weeds and the weeds ripped back! Barely skin hooked her on the outside of the mouth. F5 MVT did its job and kept the fish on. We are talking about a rubber band sized bit of skin that the fish was hooked by. My heart's been pounding all day and I can't wipe the ish eating grin off my face. Last year my smallmouth PB and today my largemouth PB both during the waxing gibbous. Get out there and catch some giants!!

p.s. the fish was 23" x 18" , just slid down the board a little in this pic

20220708_122928.jpg

G2043201_1657296691477.JPG

Edited by mrlang123

16 hours ago, tybo jones said:

Summertime Mass PB is pretty sweet. Congrats man. 

Its belly was even a little flabby. Healthy build but I'm dreaming of that same fish when it's got a deep belly during spawn. Probably closer to an 8

• 2 weeks later...