How far would you row or paddle for a bass?

FishDr

Am I losing my gourd? The other night I launched my 8’ pontoon at 2330 h and started working my way down a rocky bank of a local reservoir with the 9” Slammer. After an hour of casting with nothing to show for it I decided that rowing a mile to the dam was worth a try. It worked - I picked up 2 largemouth to 3 lbs out of 4 strikes. Then I had to row back, which took a while, and then I decided that of one dam was good, two dams would be better, and loaded the ‘toon in the truck and drove to a second ramp. I launched again at 0230 h and rowed to the 2nd dam, picked up another 4 fish, and then rowed back. By then it was 0400 h and with an 0730 h appointment I knew I had to call it a night. My arms and shoulders were feeling it for sure.

Today I used Google Earth to map out my route and figured out that I rowed 3.5 miles in the middle of the night for 6 bass (from 9 topwater strikes). I love catching bass at night on topwater as much as the next swimbait junkie but is this taking it too far? How far will you row or paddle to get into fish? Like I said at the start, have I lost my mind or is this normal?

I fish from the bank, but I also don't own any form of motorized transportation.  There is a seasonal pattern that is in full swing here, and it happens at night.  Due to time constraints of my work schedule, train schedule, and the 45 min hike each way from the closest station to the spot where I fish, I end up with about 3.5 hrs of transit / hiking time and fish for slightly less than 2 hrs. The hike is over a small mountain, so its uphill / downhill both going to and returning from the fishing location.  Is it worth it?  Hell yes.  Is anybody else doing this?  Not likely.  It just comes down to how dedicated you are and how much that drive for big fish pushes you.

10 minutes ago, chevro1et said:

I fish from the bank, but I also don't own any form of motorized transportation.  There is a seasonal pattern that is in full swing here, and it happens at night.  Due to time constraints of my work schedule, train schedule, and the 45 min hike each way from the closest station to the spot where I fish, I end up with about 3.5 hrs of transit / hiking time and fish for slightly less than 2 hrs. The hike is over a small mountain, so its uphill / downhill both going to and returning from the fishing location.  Is it worth it?  Hell yes.  Is anybody else doing this?  Not likely.  It just comes down to how dedicated you are and how much that drive for big fish pushes you.

That is some serious dedication! I guess the question is how much reward is needed for a given amount of effort. A long row would be worth it if there was a 5+ on the cards, or solid action like I had the other night.

Well. I’ve kayaked across the lake to a weed chocked canal, took about 40 minutes. Paddled thru the canal to a pond that was at the other end, another 25 minutes. Had one yes ONE bite that I pulled the hooks on. Ngl that pretty much ruined my day maybe even the trip. Only bite I got on a swimbait in 5 days. Than paddled all the way back to where we were staying at. And than did it again the next day lmao

My favorite spot is about a mile hike with the canoe and and I’ll paddle about 3 miles total  when I go. Even if I get skunked I feel like it was worth it. No one ever there and lots of wildlife to look at makes it fun no matter what. 

On my second trip to a small-ish east Tx lake, 3000 acres or so, I paddled my yak all over that sucker on day 2 of a 4 day trip.  Checked the gps tracker and I'd covered 8 miles.  I hurt so bad that night I couldn't sleep and could hardly cast the next day.  Oh, and I had one bite for all that paddling :(

I peddle and drag my Hobie Outback 4 miles up the Delaware River and float back down chasing river smallies. I do it several times a year and it’s worth it as it got me my PB river smallie last year and lots of other quality fish. 

A2B21A5D-AA81-4ACB-9F65-1D80645C8F14.jpeg

I littery think it's all about the love you have or the passion you have for that one fish! It could be for a killer bite or just that one large fat pig!! Me honestly my favorite spot is over an hour drive, and then the place I have to park is an hour and a half walk away from the spot. threw the wood and then down a really steep washed out hillside then I'm finally there. I go there every other week to sometimes every week if I can fit it in my schedule.for me tho going to this spot it's all about that one fat green monster that's why I travel to this spot" also because I live in jersey and this place holds some of the largest fish we have! But if I could go there every other day I would try to make it there till I burnt out! Or until my bank account ran dry from the gas prices! 

I used to put my boat on the wheels and roll into a fishery I predicted would have the state record lm. Regular trout stockings with a posted mercury warning to not eat the fish. Nobody ice fished it for that reason. The roll in literally broke down my body completely the next morning each time I did it.  Fish ate sbs well but I never got any size there. Sold the custom slammer I had made for the roll in so that I could erase the place from my memory. 

On 7/17/2022 at 2:30 PM, FishDr said:

Am I losing my gourd? The other night I launched my 8’ pontoon at 2330 h and started working my way down a rocky bank of a local reservoir with the 9” Slammer. After an hour of casting with nothing to show for it I decided that rowing a mile to the dam was worth a try. It worked - I picked up 2 largemouth to 3 lbs out of 4 strikes. Then I had to row back, which took a while, and then I decided that of one dam was good, two dams would be better, and loaded the ‘toon in the truck and drove to a second ramp. I launched again at 0230 h and rowed to the 2nd dam, picked up another 4 fish, and then rowed back. By then it was 0400 h and with an 0730 h appointment I knew I had to call it a night. My arms and shoulders were feeling it for sure.

Today I used Google Earth to map out my route and figured out that I rowed 3.5 miles in the middle of the night for 6 bass (from 9 topwater strikes). I love catching bass at night on topwater as much as the next swimbait junkie but is this taking it too far? How far will you row or paddle to get into fish? Like I said at the start, have I lost my mind or is this normal?

10 miles plus without question. If I had to go however far to get bit that makes no difference to me. If paddle the whole dang way up a river arm if I had the time and knew there were jumbos back there. Would it be fun to do, no, but it’d be worth it.