Rod Rack

BigSpirit

I’ve used Cold Tuna racks for about 18 years. I mounted 3 sets on the ceiling of my basement den so that the rods would be out of the way of small children. The children aren’t small anymore (it’s been 16 years since the last)one showed up, but the ceiling mounts are still going strong.

I use a kayak ceiling mount; gives me about 36” on each side to store rods and it’s strong enough for me to hang from since I have it lag screwed into the joists above it. Nice foam sleeves on the cross pieces so it won’t mar the finish on your rods. Also useful for keeping kayak paddles, 2x4s, etc. off the floor of the garage. 

On 7/19/2022 at 9:20 PM, BigSpirit said:

This is what I was thinking of in my mind before I posted this question. 

lol - guessing you don’t use that door much l with the boat in there like that? I’m working on talking the wife into a slightly bigger boat but it would require a similar move to make it fit. Not sure I want to do that myself though. 

I use that door constantly.  There's plenty of room to walk through, the pic looks deceiving.

At the old house, I used the Berkeley plastic and foam along with the Okuma racks attached to the wall. Downside for me was rods with reels didn't play well together. Currently using these https://www.amazon.com/Rush-Creek-Creations-Weather-Fishing/dp/B07PVQJ7F8/ref=sr_1_3?crid=39G3LQUIBF7IH&keywords=rush+creek+fishing+rod+rack&qid=1658442039&sprefix=rush+creek%2Caps%2C124&sr=8-3 one or more holders can be removed to accommodate larger combos or stagger heights as shown in the photos.

Etsy had some interesting racks when I was looking as well.

I got this set from bass pro. Holds 6 rods, no reels 

only issue is the holes are small, like if you have a Fuji style bell buttcap it won’t fit, but could easily drill them out larger 

those 2 rods just haven’t made their way upstairs yet, fyi, 

2C4246BF-6BC3-4F05-9337-D3E095185158.jpeg

A31A505B-3CC3-4965-97C5-75EF3F1363DC.jpeg

EA9F26D1-B362-4C51-A772-2E4BE303343A.png

I like the functionality of storing them on the ceiling but I’d have to get a ladder out to get to mine if I went that route. Not sure I have the wall space to do horizontal either since I’ve got my kayak and bikes and other shelves utilizing a lot of that space. 

definitely some great ideas here though, I appreciate all of the input. I think I’ve got some ideas to look into and measure for

A super simple method I have found is using command loops. Mark out where you want them and a set of two holds two rods. They are super cheap and easy to move. That also allow you to set spacing any way you want and and blank wall can hold fishing rods. https://a.co/d/biH7umh

the only drawback is if you put them somewhere it gets real hot, the adhesive will come off and they may fall down.

EFBFE816-62A5-4A52-B39F-DDCF64E58CC4.jpeg