New to Swimbaiting

Georgel4

Well now that I KNOW..haha if I had to suggest 5 baits for a noob they would be these..because of availability and price

1.316 small rising son top and bottom hook

2.316 mission fish 5"

3.ms slammer 7 or 9" in light trout

4. Hudd weedless 68 in trout

5. A rat...morning wood rats are easier to come by not to heavy and usually new guys try and get by with heavy conventional gear

Also..don't go crazy buying baits..take your time and really learn them give them there just do there's no way you could learn all those baits quickly people make the mistake of just buying away and never truly learn a bait once you know a baits strengths and when and why to toss it at a specific time is when your catch percentage will go up

Well now that I KNOW..haha if I had to suggest 5 baits for a noob they would be these..because of availability and price

1.316 small rising son top and bottom hook

2.316 mission fish 5"

3.ms slammer 7 or 9" in light trout

4. Hudd weedless 68 in trout

5. A rat...morning wood rats are easier to come by not to heavy and usually new guys try and get by with heavy conventional gear

Also..don't go crazy buying baits..take your time and really learn them give them there just do there's no way you could learn all those baits quickly people make the mistake of just buying away and never truly learn a bait once you know a baits strengths and when and why to toss it at a specific time is when your catch percentage will go up

Best advise yet. Buy a few and fish them awhile. People told me this but I had to buy all of them. Very expensive and a big waste of time on the water.

Now I throw Hudds/ospreys/3:16 rising sons(take your pick), wake jr., crank down wakes, Mattlures hard gill...done.

1.Mission Fish 5" (to make sure to comply with rules on swimbait size we apparently now have)$11

2&3.Rising Son small bottom hook and top hook $14 & $15

4.Mini MS Slammer $28.50

5.River2Sea S-waver $17

6.Huddleston 6" weedless or 68 rof5 (rof= rate of fall- how many feet per 10 seconds a bait sinks. So rof5 bait sinks 5 feet every 10 seconds you count down)$20-24

***And get a bottle of glue. You'd be surprised how much life you can get out of soft baits repairing them. Eventually pay for themselves from fish caught.

•Total $109.50 and you can buy them all right now no waiting. $100 doesn't break the bank and before you know it you may be hooked and buying baits that cost as much as all 6 of those combined.

The most important thing was mentioned by Cam. Go freaking fishing! You have to learn each bait what it can and can't do. Hell you will soon learn having identical baits will have completely different characteristics when fished side by side even though they are supposed to be the exact same bait!! When and where to throw it that is all on the water experience that you need to develop. But if you buy $150-200 baits out of the gate you will get discouraged thinking some how this bait will catch fish for you. I still always have either a 5" mission fish or Rising Son tied on when I am being serious and not just messing around for an hour or two. They are just tools. You have to learn to when to apply to right one or end up like so many thinking the next bait they buy is that miracle bait that will do the work for them. End up chasing a dream instead of putting in the work! Don't be that guy

Topwater/Wakebait: blackdog small g2 shellcracker, Ms slammer 7inch or 9inch in bass or trout, and the jerry rago injected/plastic rat.

Sinking: 6-7inch 22nd century in any color or the triple trout bluegill which is 5 inches, any one of the two is a good choice. And its hard to beat a 6inch huddleston in bass, trout, or shad in rof 5 or 12.

you can purchase all of these from Tacklewearhouse.com, all of these will cost between 18.00$ to 65.00$. all of these baits i have listed are between 1.5 to 2.4 ounces, so you can get away with throwing it on regular bass fishing gear. truthfully some people say color matters but i think its just a confidence thing, you can choose any color you like to match your forage species at the lakes you fish. You can go buy all kinds of baits (like i did :lol: ) or you can just focus on the baits the other guys and i have listed. don't be afraid to just fish one bait a lot and learn it, each bait has its own time and place... each lake is different. you just need to figure that out yourself 8-) hope this helps! :D

Topwater/Wakebait: blackdog small g2 shellcracker, Ms slammer 7inch or 9inch in bass or trout, and the jerry rago injected/plastic rat.

Sinking: 6-7inch 22nd century in any color or the triple trout bluegill which is 5 inches, any one of the two is a good choice. And its hard to beat a 6inch huddleston in bass, trout, or shad in rof 5 or 12.

you can purchase all of these from Tacklewearhouse.com, all of these will cost between 18.00$ to 65.00$. all of these baits i have listed are between 1.5 to 2.4 ounces, so you can get away with throwing it on regular bass fishing gear. truthfully some people say color matters but i think its just a confidence thing, you can choose any color you like to match your forage species at the lakes you fish. You can go buy all kinds of baits (like i did :lol: ) or you can just focus on the baits the other guys and i have listed. don't be afraid to just fish one bait a lot and learn it, each bait has its own time and place... each lake is different. you just need to figure that out yourself 8-) hope this helps! :D

This is pretty much what I was gonna say!

1.Mission Fish 5" (to make sure to comply with rules on swimbait size we apparently now have)$11

2&3.Rising Son small bottom hook and top hook $14 & $15

4.Mini MS Slammer $28.50

5.River2Sea S-waver $17

6.Huddleston 6" weedless or 68 rof5 (rof= rate of fall- how many feet per 10 seconds a bait sinks. So rof5 bait sinks 5 feet every 10 seconds you count down)$20-24

***And get a bottle of glue. You'd be surprised how much life you can get out of soft baits repairing them. Eventually pay for themselves from fish caught.

•Total $109.50 and you can buy them all right now no waiting. $100 doesn't break the bank and before you know it you may be hooked and buying baits that cost as much as all 6 of those combined.

The most important thing was mentioned by Cam. Go freaking fishing! You have to learn each bait what it can and can't do. Hell you will soon learn having identical baits will have completely different characteristics when fished side by side even though they are supposed to be the exact same bait!! When and where to throw it that is all on the water experience that you need to develop. But if you buy $150-200 baits out of the gate you will get discouraged thinking some how this bait will catch fish for you. I still always have either a 5" mission fish or Rising Son tied on when I am being serious and not just messing around for an hour or two. They are just tools. You have to learn to when to apply to right one or end up like so many thinking the next bait they buy is that miracle bait that will do the work for them. End up chasing a dream instead of putting in the work! Don't be that guy

This is perfect right here. I don't like the mini slammer though I would say just go with the 7"

• 4 years later...

68 hudd

8inch hudd

Gantarel

Swaver

Hudd gill

I feel like you could accomplish just about everything all water levels the gantarel at 40$ price point u could fish a few ways like a wake bait. Fish it lower in the  water column with how u tie either top or bottom or add a weight. And the hudds are hands down fish catchers. Try the 68 get good at that and graduate yourself to the 8inch and those two dont break the bank like the 10inch. And bass hate blue gill cant go wrong throwing that gill shallow on a bed or slow roll that puppy in cover. Good luck!

37 minutes ago, JBock559 said:

68 hudd

8inch hudd

Gantarel

Swaver

Hudd gill

I feel like you could accomplish just about everything all water levels the gantarel at 40$ price point u could fish a few ways like a wake bait. Fish it lower in the  water column with how u tie either top or bottom or add a weight. And the hudds are hands down fish catchers. Try the 68 get good at that and graduate yourself to the 8inch and those two dont break the bank like the 10inch. And bass hate blue gill cant go wrong throwing that gill shallow on a bed or slow roll that puppy in cover. Good luck!

Well, since the PO hasn't been active in almost 5 years, i would give up on him lol