Smaller Rods for Bigger Baits

Bobloeacobar

Hey Everyone, 

I am new to the big bait game but I recently started throwing them in a pool just to learn mechanics and stuff. Right now my setup is a Daiwa DX 8’ MH with a Lexa HD 300.
Most of the baits I own are in the 7-7.5” range. I found that when throwing them on the setup I have it was tough to get them to swim and dart, it seemed almost like the rod was too overpowering and making them roll or just wash out. 

Just for Kicks I decided to try them out on a smaller lighter rod so I put them on a 7’1” MH and it seemed like those Baits really came alive and we’re so much easier to control. 
Even my Jointed Claw 230s seemed to have trouble on the heavier rod. 

Do I just suck that bad or is there a tip for using smaller lighter rods for bigger Baits. Now I do understand that bombing a long cast on a lighter rod isn’t advisable with heavier stuff but would I be able to comfortably throw something in the 2-4oz range on say a 7’6” MH, or should I just practice more? 

I don't have experience with that rod but generally I'd say 3 oz max is ideal for a mh sb rod. On my mh dobyns xp it doesn't feel good going over 3 oz. U gotta remember that a rod can cast a bigger bait that's pushing its limit but u still have the weight working against u on the hookset. I'd say keep practicing though. Get a feel for how fast your reel is, the cadence, use rod bumps along with your handle turns too and see what feels good and natural to u. 

Definitely fish your baits in a real setting, outside of your pool. When you start to make those bomb casts and catch fish you will get the feel of if you truly want that bigger rod or not. It’s all personal preference though, everyone has their different styles 

9 hours ago, Bobloeacobar said:

Do I just suck that bad or is there a tip for using smaller lighter rods for bigger Baits. Now I do understand that bombing a long cast on a lighter rod isn’t advisable with heavier stuff but would I be able to comfortably throw something in the 2-4oz range on say a 7’6” MH, or should I just practice more? 

From my understanding, Irod is releasing that rod this year. Ceaser with Toxic Baits has been working on a signature series SB rod,  7'6" that will handle baits 2-6oz range. Most of the fish catches he's been posting lately is with that rod. Maybe worth the wait?