Smiths Baits Hitch X Swimbait

tsteadyslayin

I've had one for a while and over all its a good bait. The pros: I like the size, its bigger than a negotiator and smaller than a slide swimmer 250, which fits a good nitch in my box. It can be thrown easily on my 795. The picture on the TW website does not do this bait justice, it looks great in person. The paint and details like the scales are top notch. Also the hardware seems to be of good quality. The bait fishes more like a s waver with a short tighter glide, and not like the long wide glide of a deps or even the roman made. The bait does get bit, I've caught a few fish on it just using a slow steady retrieve.

The cons: after the first day I threw it I noticed a decent size chip in the paint after about 30 minutes of use. I had not yet gotten a bite and I don't remember hitting it on anything. I think the paint chip was from the hooks hitting the bait on the cast. So the paint doesn't hold up as well as other high end baits. Also the bait sinks slightly head first on the pause unlike the perfectly balanced deps and RM. Some people may not care about that but I have caught a lot of fish on glides using a pause in my retrieve and I feel like baits that sink unevenly miss out on a lot of those hits that suspending or super slow sinking baits get if they sink evenly. If you tend to fish your glides with a straight slow retrieve or rip the baits, the way it sinks won't matter.

Overall its a good bait, I got mine on sale at TW and I definitely think it was a good deal and its one of the baits I always take with me to the lake. It can be fished slow or fast and has a nice tight gliding action. Having said that I have had more luck on glide baits with longer wider glides and this bait doesn't fit in that category. If you like the S waver you will love this bait. I hope this helps.

I've had one for a while and over all its a good bait. The pros: I like the size, its bigger than a negotiator and smaller than a slide swimmer 250, which fits a good nitch in my box. It can be thrown easily on my 795. The picture on the TW website does not do this bait justice, it looks great in person. The paint and details like the scales are top notch. Also the hardware seems to be of good quality. The bait fishes more like a s waver with a short tighter glide, and not like the long wide glide of a deps or even the roman made. The bait does get bit, I've caught a few fish on it just using a slow steady retrieve.

The cons: after the first day I threw it I noticed a decent size chip in the paint after about 30 minutes of use. I had not yet gotten a bite and I don't remember hitting it on anything. I think the paint chip was from the hooks hitting the bait on the cast. So the paint doesn't hold up as well as other high end baits. Also the bait sinks slightly head first on the pause unlike the perfectly balanced deps and RM. Some people may not care about that but I have caught a lot of fish on glides using a pause in my retrieve and I feel like baits that sink unevenly miss out on a lot of those hits that suspending or super slow sinking baits get if they sink evenly. If you tend to fish your glides with a straight slow retrieve or rip the baits, the way it sinks won't matter.

Overall its a good bait, I got mine on sale at TW and I definitely think it was a good deal and its one of the baits I always take with me to the lake. It can be fished slow or fast and has a nice tight gliding action. Having said that I have had more luck on glide baits with longer wider glides and this bait doesn't fit in that category. If you like the S waver you will love this bait. I hope this helps.

Are you using floro ? Switching to mono might help the nose diving