The end of an era...

FishDr

Sorry for your loss. 
I too hold a special place in my heart for slammers. Especially ones with a lot of hour put in on it.
one of mine broke the same way. I sent it to mike and he put a bigger eye screw in it and epoxied it back together. I never trusted it though and ended up getting rid of it. 

I probably feel for you more than anyone lol. This has also happened to me. Same EXACT color and I think the same year. I wonder if it was a certain batch. I’ll check the dates tomorrow. I epoxy or superglued mine and it has been fine since but doesn’t get used a lot with 136 other slammers in the mix lol

pretty awesome story and awesome history

thanks for sharing 

was hoping it was good news and not the passing of someone or another shop closing down 

my baits dont ever seem to make it that long, lost my go to slammer last year on an epic bite, snapped off and the wind waves took it 

then lost my go to wade hoggs this season to a big fish in a rocky area

2 hours ago, tybo jones said:

Sorry for your loss. 
I too hold a special place in my heart for slammers. Especially ones with a lot of hour put in on it.
one of mine broke the same way. I sent it to mike and he put a bigger eye screw in it and epoxied it back together. I never trusted it though and ended up getting rid of it. 

Thanks! It’s all good - I don’t see it as a loss.  The Super Slammer and I had a great run, and while I considered going for a repair, I figured it had earned retirement. I suspect that soon another Slammer will start to accrue mojo and tooth marks, because that’s just what they do.

1 hour ago, Mossypumpkin said:

I probably feel for you more than anyone lol. This has also happened to me. Same EXACT color and I think the same year. I wonder if it was a certain batch. I’ll check the dates tomorrow. I epoxy or superglued mine and it has been fine since but doesn’t get used a lot with 136 other slammers in the mix lol

Those early 2000s Slammers definitely had something going for them.

Jesse, your Slammer collection is legendary.

1 hour ago, chefchris said:

pretty awesome story and awesome history

thanks for sharing 

was hoping it was good news and not the passing of someone or another shop closing down 

my baits dont ever seem to make it that long, lost my go to slammer last year on an epic bite, snapped off and the wind waves took it 

then lost my go to wade hoggs this season to a big fish in a rocky area

This type of scenario was what I thought would happen to it, since I couldn’t bring myself to retire it. I figured one of the lone wolf tiger muskies or a big catfish was going to crush it one night and leave me with nothing but memories and some frayed, slimy, line.  This way I get to keep it around as a reminder of the fun we’ve had.

5 minutes ago, FishDr said:

This type of scenario was what I thought would happen to it, since I couldn’t bring myself to retire it. I figured one of the lone wolf tiger muskies or a big catfish was going to crush it one night and leave me with nothing but memories and some frayed, slimy, line.  This way I get to keep it around as a reminder of the fun we’ve had.

yeah for sure, i have a few surf striper plugs retired and hanging on the wall and my pb bait from last year but those two were awesome baits, lost em at the same body of water too 

glad you got the bait back and can look at it and remember the memories 

Thanks for sharing. Well written. My condolences. It seems that we all have that one special bait that’s always just stood above the rest when it comes to catching bass. That go to confidence bait with so much history. Luckily you found the rest of the slammer and can do a proper retirement and display.