Wake bait gear ratio?

JulienThamer

Recently swapped around some reels and rods in my lineup, and found my absolute money wake bait setup- Daiwa Luna 253L on my LDC XH.  Feels perfect and slooooow waking comes easily.  

If you aren't fishing salt, 4.7:1 Curado 300, also makes for an awesome slow crawl/hudd/winter reel.

Edit, saves you $100 too, for the exact same reel minus salt protection and some other very small differences.

Edited by rwp

Why worry about gear ratio on a reel for a wake bait? You can literally see the retrieve, if it’s moving too fast, slow your winding down….. if it’s moving too slow, speed your winding up.

Edited by thebeardedbassman

4 minutes ago, thebeardedbassman said:

Why worry about gear ratio on a reel for a wake bait? You can literally see the retrieve, if it’s moving too fast, slow your winding down….. if it’s moving too slow, speed your winding up.

It has little to do with the speed, it's mostly the resistance. Cranking high resistance baits all day can be tiring or nearly impossible with a high gear reel. I have some musky bucktails that fight harder than a 5 pound bass, even with a power handle it sucks too bring them in on a high gear tranx.

I understand that, but wake baits and huge bladed musky baits that you’re trying to keep moving on a steady retrieve are two different ball games.  I’ve not once in my life have ever felt I needed to change the gear ratio on a reel while retrieving a bass wake bait…. Maybe it’s just me.