Line preferences

DesertSwimbait

What is everyone’s line preference for bigger baits? Looking to re spool my lexa and was just curious what everyone prefers.I’m going to be targeting striped bass with this set up btw ,so I definitely want something that will withstand the abuse.I’ve fished fc sniper for a long time but it is kind of pricey.

I’ve been fishing P Line CXX moss green for over 20 years. From conventional to RM Mothers. Yes, it has more memory and a larger diameter than other lines with the same lb test. But it’s so darn tough and abrasion resistant that to me, that outweighs the extra line memory. I do occasionally throw soft swimbaits on FC Sniper, but I just lack the confidence to throw big, heavy baits on it. Just my personal opinion. 

I use 65lb maxcuatro to a 20 or 25 lb Sunline FC Shockleader.

However, I’d have total confidence in Big Game, P-Line, Izorline , Maxima, Stren, just about any of brand will work and work very well. 

I like braid to leader because it’s cheaper and I can change leader material/weight or whatever to fit my lure and conditions.  Also, it’s highly sensitive. I fish around a ton of weeds and grass and the braid allows me to feel if grass is hanging from my hooks most of the time. With mono, co-poly and Fluro, most of the time you (I) can’t tell when I have a small amount of weeds fouling my hook until I see it. 

7 hours ago, Jscarbr said:

I use 65lb maxcuatro to a 20 or 25 lb Sunline FC Shockleader.

However, I’d have total confidence in Big Game, P-Line, Izorline , Maxima, Stren, just about any of brand will work and work very well. 

I like braid to leader because it’s cheaper and I can change leader material/weight or whatever to fit my lure and conditions.  Also, it’s highly sensitive. I fish around a ton of weeds and grass and the braid allows me to feel if grass is hanging from my hooks most of the time. With mono, co-poly and Fluro, most of the time you (I) can’t tell when I have a small amount of weeds fouling my hook until I see it. 

I second the 65lbs PP Maxcuatro with a 3’ piece of 25lbs Sunline System Shock leader. Keep the leader short so you don’t cast the connection knot through the guides. 

If you are in a budget pick up a 670yds spool of izor xxx 20lbs for $17.99, back your reels with 65lbs braid and change out the topshot often 

Back in the day P-Line CXX,  but now 50 lb Power Pro on almost all my setups. I have 40 lb PP on one that doesn't carry as much for line capacity and for smaller SBs, but on all my 1520 spools I get quite a bit of payload on there with 50 lb just easier for me my waters are generally stained/deeper and I generally fish at night except for weather changing here shortly for us here.....right now it is still hot and sucks

It may be a little pricey but I’ve always used seaguar abrazx between 20-25lb test. I’ve been playing around with 17lb though with the TIk but I just don’t have the confidence in 17lb yet with Swimbait’s. But for stripers I’d use 20-25 definitely.