IRod Jr. Swim

Jdcampbell

Haven’t seen much talk since 2017 about the IRod Genesis Jr.Swim. 
this may help anglers on a budget or just getting started since it’s one of the cheaper more readily available options out there.

So I was in the market the other day for a lighter swimbait rid to throw my wakes from 1.5-3.5oz. I have 2 806’s, 1 champ, 1 fury. I wanted something a touch lighter. On a whim, I bought an IRod jr. swim. I’ve had one in the past but never used it for swimbaits, only deep cranking 10xd’s and the like (great rod for that btw). In the store this rod felt like it might be underpowered for what I was lookin for. Not sure why but it did. I really didn’t want the 795 fury but my options were limited. 

Later that night I went out for a little bank fishing session. I’ve been on a good wake bait bite at night lately so it seemed perfect. At first I started on the lighter side and started easy, lobbing a 2pc PB Rat(little over 2oz). Pfft, effortless. Fished it for a little and no bites. So I tied on my Sacpig 1pc Mischief (3.5oz) as it was a pretty calm night... Man! Still a pleasure to throw, didn’t feel like I was overloading or even getting close to it yet. Then boom! Had a decent 3 slurp in about a foot from the shore. Reeled up all the tension then leaned on it. The rod loaded up beautifully and got the fish in. All in all I’m very pleased with this rod so far. Not my nicest but well worth the money. I also love a company that rates there rods correctly and truthfully. I’ve had a 795 before and fished it with 3-3.5 oz baits and it was not comfortable at all. Not dogging Dobyns, have plenty. This was my honest opinion on the IRod Jr.Swim so far with Wakebaits. I’m not sponsored by anyone FWIW. Can’t wait to keep using it.

Hope this helps someone on the fence with there next rod choice.

GEAR USED:

Irod Genesis III Jr. Swim (obviously)

both a Tatula 300 w/25lb mono & Curado 200 w/20lb mono

BAITS USED:

Sherpa 2pc, Toxic Wad3, 2pc PB Rat, G2 Shellcracker, Spro 50 & Trowback Baits Lab Bunny

98FB1BF2-ADCA-4D78-A30A-5487847C6503.thumb.jpeg.90d7bdbc4b3a3ab5325374acfd731b1f.jpegC52A7830-2FCA-4528-B557-30CC0E111958.thumb.jpeg.90e01ae497e4a06c176e57a7856efd20.jpeg

Completely agree and have also been pleasantly surprised with the jr. (Mostly throwing the 1.5-3 oz. hardbaits with it). The moderate-fast action and balance has really fit my style of fishing these sorts of baits enough to where I ended up picking up the large swim in late spring. Also been a great rod for me in the 3-5.5oz range. Always a plus to be fishing a rod from somebody that's done and cares so much for swimbaiting. Irod is one of those sneaky great brands that does swimbaiting right imo.

1 hour ago, danthefisherman said:

My brother has the Jr. Swim and I have the Fury 795. Imo where the Dobyns does feel a little more refined, the Irod probably is the more versatile of the two. The Jr. Swim also seems a lot “smaller” in-hands, perhaps because of its split grip design.

That shorter handle makes it great for throwing and hooksets from a kayak. Makes it worth switching out from my "higher end" swimbait rods alone, personally...

• 8 months later...