Time for a topwater!

danthefisherman

Haven’t posted build updates in awhile, but why not change that since I’m adding yet another project to the to-do list :lol:

Something that I’m sorely missing in my lineup is a reliable topwater bait. My brother has been kicking my butt on a new-ish topwater that he made. Furthermore, he keeps taking back the prototypes that I try to steal from his box so I can only watch as he comes behind me and sticks big bass that had refused my subsurface offerings… it’s a bit maddening.

I intend for this bait to primarily be a 6-7” wake to fish under overhangs, over laydowns, and along weed edges. There is a certain mod that I have been testing which will be one unique feature for this project, but I’ll wait on the reveal for that one. Hopefully it won’t take me two years to complete though, otherwise @porkmeatballs is going to have all these topwater bites to himself.

CED8BBFA-D644-4DD0-88DA-7A9B4E86C86D.thumb.jpeg.f6ea2bf2cea15c93b1eff804082b61a8.jpeg

Edited by danthefisherman

On 10/28/2022 at 5:47 PM, Rogervang said:

Dan, your nuts to be carving your bait from a block like that ^^^^. But what do I know, I just comment on posts hahaha can't wait to see this one! 

You know it! This is a relatively small block of wood too…the bigger chunks are a real forearm workout

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Rogervang said:

I was wondering what that was. I thought it was the magic touch. Haha not a bad method to use. 

Haha yeah I mark a reference triangle on both sides of the material to help align the patterns to each other. I’ve found that it helps me to maintain symmetry of the rough profile and facial details.

On 10/30/2022 at 11:04 AM, danthefisherman said:

You know it! This is a relatively small block of wood too…the bigger chunks are a real forearm workout

Your baits are truly hand carved! Although a coping saw could definetly speed up that part of the process... I like the triangle reference, I transfer stencils for head detail and sometimes have trouble aligning thinks up, I may give this a try myself, thanks for sharing that!

2 hours ago, DPCredeur said:

Your baits are truly hand carved! Although a coping saw could definetly speed up that part of the process... I like the triangle reference, I transfer stencils for head detail and sometimes have trouble aligning thinks up, I may give this a try myself, thanks for sharing that!

Of course! I did it the same as you and struggled with stencil symmetry for years until one day the light bulb went off in my head to create one fixed point of reference during the pattern transfer process…simple yet effective.

On to the head detailing!

Notice that I leave part of the body flat during this stage. This helps me cut straight(ish) down into the wood and maintain better facial symmetry…otherwise there is a lot of room for the detailing to “wander” within the material as I thin the head section.

661F89D3-AA6A-45E5-A0A7-CE5C7B9E7C0F.thumb.jpeg.71b6456f61e5ee0d99c9d5157f01caef.jpeg

Edited by danthefisherman