Mid Size Swimbait Reels - Got a minute?

Big Hands

If ever a group existed that was happy to head off into the weeds about most things related to swimbait fishing, I figure this would be it. May be. I could be wrong, but we shall see. I haven't found any threads where all of these things are discussed in detail and it's hard water season for many.

Disclaimer: If details are not your thing, I understand. I realize brevity is not an attribute I possess. The TL/DR version is I am looking for a reel for swimbaits ranging in size from about 2 oz to 4 oz, but may exceed that a bit in either direction. I suspect that a reel that does everything perfectly does not exist and that there will be compromises. I am trying to figure out how to deal with those and which are the most important to consider. So much for brevity, it's the best I can do.

--------------------------------------------

Context: First of all, for me, the term "swimbait" is referring to bigger swimbaits like anything from 1 oz to infinity (as it relates to bass fishing). I know there are "swimbaits that are 3" long and weigh 1/4 oz, and those are best used with a completely different type of rod and reel and are what I would categorize as "small swimbaits" that range up to an ounce or two. So, for the purposes of this thread, rightly or wrongly, I am referring to baits that generally fall in the 1 oz to 5 oz category (with the sweet spot being 1.5 oz to 3.5 oz). FOR ME and the purposes of this discussion, a 6 oz swimbait falls into the lower range of the "big swimbait" category.

I fully expect that there isn't likely to be universal agreement about the what best attributes are for a swimbait reel. And, much to Bait Monkey's sheer delight, there are niches within the niche, and that is where my dilemma originates.

I have a bunch of swimbaits in this category, but have not had a proper setup to throw them since I got rid of my Phenix PSW869H Deck hand rod and Tranx 400. It would handle baits up into the large swimbait realm. It was a fine rod and reel setup, but it was not lightweight or close to it in a general sense and it was not fun to use for long stretches of time. It would make for a fine inshore rig for yellowtail or tuna we get in this area, but it was a beast for me for swimbait fishing. And, my next most expensive rig only cost 2/3 of what that did, and my main interest is not this type fishing at this time. 

------------------------------------------

Fast forward to today, and I now have a Daiwa Kage 8'6' R/H rated rod (you'll find almost nothing about this rod online and although Daiwa still has a few in stock, it has been discontinued). I guess it's one of those rods that if you know, you know, but most likely you had no idea it even existed. But I think other rods like it exist and this is more about the reel at this point. After trying it out yesterday, I really like it. It casts the swimbaits I tried further than I actually expected it to, and I liked what action I could impart to them.

My intent is to use 17-20 lb mono or fluorocarbon line. The reel I want would have adequate line storage for my purposes, but if I have my way, I don't see me ever need more than 150 yards of capacity. I also want to have a reel that is not too bulky even though I do have "Big Hands". These may be specifications that may have to be compromised on. 

The areas of most concern for me are (not necessarily in order):

• Drag capacity
  • Ability to withstand this type of use for the long haul (durability)
  • Fatal flaws
  • RoR ('Rate of Retrieve' for both eliciting strikes and bringing fish to the boat)
  • Casting ability/manners

I think I can reconcile most of these attributes individually. Added all together, and I am beginning to detect the smell of old tires burning trying to come to a solid conclusion. I am having the thought that maybe a rig that is OK at many things may not do anything particularly well.

Taken in a vacuum, the rate of retrieve is the one that strikes me as having to be the most compromised in one way or another. Many types of "mid-sized" swimbaits are effective using a VERY slow rate of retrieve. And then, when Bertha Muffintop decides to inhale the offering, many have the belief that it's best to turn the fish and keeping coming to the boat and directly into the net so the fish doesn't have a chance to shake the heavy bait loose. Reels with a low rate of retrieve are often very powerful, but the low RoR makes it easier for them to minimize the tension enough to turn or head to the surface for some tail dancing and head shaking. For what it's worth I have landed a 12 lb 4 oz bass water skiing it across the surface and into the net using a big swimbait. TBH, it was not the most satisfying fight in one sense, but if all I want to do is fight the fish in a more sporting manner, then I think I would be more at risk of losing that fight.

Then, some of the reels with the slowest rates of retrieve are 400 sized reels. and I really don't want the added line capacity, weight and bulk. Maybe I just need to learn to slowly and effectively retrieve my bait with a reel that has a higher RoR so that I can have the higher RoR when trying to boat the fish.

When trying the new rod out, I employed a Curado 200K with a 6.2:1 ratio that has a 26" RoR and I was having to turn the handle VERY slowly to get the action I wanted from the baits I was using such as the Baitsanity Antidote. I am pretty sure that hucking baits like that is going to be the death of that Curado 200K, but I do think that many 300 size reels are durable enough for the task for the long haul.

Some (mostly 300 or 400 size with some exceptions) reels that I think include some versions that may meet some of the criteria:

• Shimano Calcutta
  • Shimano Tranx
  • Shimano Cardiff
  • Shimano Curado
  • Shimano Scorpion MD (JDM)
  • Daiwa Coastal
  • Daiwa Lexa
  • Daiwa Tatula
  • Daiwa Ryoga
  • Daiwa Prorex
  • Daiwa Zillion TW HD
  • Penn Fathom
  • Penn Squall
  • Lews Super Duty
  • Okuma Komodo
  • Okuma Citrix
  • Abu Garcia Revo

Some of the above reels I think wouldn't make the short list, but in case anyone think there are some that I may have missed. Also, since this isn't necessarily the main type of bass fishing that I do, I don't want to shell out the big bucks (over $300 +/-) if it isn't necessary. If it simply is necessary, I would probably be looking for something used. If you have made it this far, thank you for your thoughtful insight. If you went the TL/DR route, that's cool too.

If you feel my logic is flawed, I am all ears. How do you all reconcile these things?

If you feel 26” IPT is too fast then you’re going to really limit yourself. Curado 300K is not a bad option and comes in a slow ratio I believe 25” IPT. If you’re budget conscious I would get a tatula 300 but I think the slowest retrieve is 33” IPT. Tatula 200 is another option and I think has a 28” IPT offering but I’ve never fished it so can’t really comment. 

If you want to splurge the conquest dc and Antares md dc are very fun reels to fish. Over your budget but can be had for $400-450 from overseas. 

Start by looking at line capacity first. You have a lot of reels listed that can’t hold 150 yards of 17-20lb test. Then you’ll have fewer options to choose from. That will give you the best chance at finding the reel that suits your needs. Also, look at gear ratios and the inch per turn for each reel. Not all 5.x.x ratio reels equal less inches per turn. It’s just a lower ratio with more torque, but some models have the same ipt as a 6.2.1 or higher gear ratio reel. 

And although a lot of bigger 400 sized reels can’t throw lighter baits out of the box, there are some very reputable reel guys that can upgrade bearings and polish parts along with adding their own mixture of grease (tuning a reel) that can allow these larger reels to cast lighter swimbaits as easily as a 200 sized reel. Best of luck in your search. 

31 minutes ago, Obtuse_Angler said:

If you feel 26” IPT is too fast then you’re going to really limit yourself. Curado 300K is not a bad option and comes in a slow ratio I believe 25” IPT. If you’re budget conscious I would get a tatula 300 but I think the slowest retrieve is 33” IPT. Tatula 200 is another option and I think has a 28” IPT offering but I’ve never fished it so can’t really comment. 

If you want to splurge the conquest dc and Antares md dc are very fun reels to fish. Over your budget but can be had for $400-450 from overseas. 

=============================================================================================

The calcuttas 4.8 are nice and slow at something like 22-23 ipt. I use a 4.8 for wakes. I think the 6.3 ryoga nearly as smooth as the Calcutta. But it is closer to 26 ipt. 

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. 

No question that I think the slower retrieve is absolutely great for working many baits when trying to get bit. My dilemma is what happens after the strike. Fighting a fish successfully with a 4 ounce swimbait hanging out of it's mouth by a 5/0 treble hook is best handled by getting them straight to the net without letting them get a good shot at throwing the bait. If I knew I had a hook sunk in and it wouldn't come loose, I'd be perfectly content to have a low gear ratio and put the powerful low gear ratio and winch them in. 

I do have some experience with big swimbaits and catching big bass with them. Unfortunately, this was a looooong time ago and gear has changed significantly. We were using a lot o Penn Level winds or I also had an ABU Garcia Ambassadeur  9000 2 speed reel that would retrieve at 4.2:1 until something pulled hard enough to pull drag where it would then shift down to 2.5:1 until the pressure lessened whereby it would shift back to the 4.2:1. Using that reel allowed me to feel the difference in power at two different gear ratios when reeling in the same fish. That power will definitely move them to the boat, but it isn't necessarily enough to keep them from jumping or taking a run to the bottom to the bottom.

I stopped by my local tackle store this evening and had my rod and reel with me. I tried several reel in the rod and generally put hands on them to see if any had ergonomics I didn't care as much for. The Lexa 300's were pretty bloated compared to other similarly sized reels. The Tatula 300 was a little bulky, but not terrible. The Curado 300HG 

My usual moves when I see a fish coming straight to the surface is to either 1) when using smaller treble baits or finesse baits with light wire hooks I can ease up on the pressure just a little to see if they will react by swimming sideways or down where I can keep them from throwing the bait OR 2) with baits that are likely to have a good connection I will pull harder on them just as they are coming out of the water which basically pulls them over onto their side and then try to keep their head out of the water and coming to me. If they're just swimming to me that's fine too. But with big swimbait fish, I want them in the net as soon as possible.

So, it looks like there are indeed choices for well made swimbait appropriate reels with acceptable line capacity that are within or close to being within the stated budget range. My question then becomes what RoR's are people using and how are people make those IPT's work successfully for them? Do you feel like having a slow (22" to say 30" RoR) works against you once you have hooked a big bass? 

At some point, I'll just have to throw down and take my chances, but I'd prefer to measure twice and cut once.

4 hours ago, SVT THUNDER said:

Start by looking at line capacity first. You have a lot of reels listed that can’t hold 150 yards of 17-20lb test. Then you’ll have fewer options to choose from. That will give you the best chance at finding the reel that suits your needs. Also, look at gear ratios and the inch per turn for each reel. Not all 5.x.x ratio reels equal less inches per turn. It’s just a lower ratio with more torque, but some models have the same ipt as a 6.2.1 or higher gear ratio reel. 

And although a lot of bigger 400 sized reels can’t throw lighter baits out of the box, there are some very reputable reel guys that can upgrade bearings and polish parts along with adding their own mixture of grease (tuning a reel) that can allow these larger reels to cast lighter swimbaits as easily as a 200 sized reel. Best of luck in your search. 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I have owned a Tranx 400 and I don't want to have a reel of that size unless it's needed. I do plan to fish mostly 17-22 lb mono or fluorocarbon (mostly 20 or 22 lb) with this rig and that should be plenty strong. And, honestly, I don't think I need much over 100 yards of capacity, but the Curado 300K holds 150 yards of 20 lb mono and I think that would be plenty even for a chunky striper. The Tranx 300 holds 150 yards of 20 lb mono too. I know there are stripers where I fish most of the time, but they are rarely over ten pounds these days, and LMB just don't go on any blistering runs like a striper does. 

The one thing that some 400 size reels have going for them is that if the spool is relatively wide, the ipt will theoretically vary as much during the retrieve. I can't necessarily see exactly what my swimbait is doing when it's 150 feet away from me like I can when it's right at the boat. If I turn the crank at the same cadence with a relatively narrow/deep spool (like many 300 series reels have), the lure will be moving faster at the end of the retrieve than it does at the beginning. That is a tradeoff compared to a reel with a wider spool, but not something I am concerned about. 

After stopping by the local tackle store this evening and trying several reels in my rod, I am leaning toward the Tranx 300A with a 5.8:1 ratio at 30" ipt or the Curado 300 with either 25" or 35" ipt. I looked at two Lexas, the Tatula 300, a Curado 300 and a Penn Fathom. We shall see. 

5 hours ago, Big Hands said:

After stopping by the local tackle store this evening and trying several reels in my rod, I am leaning toward the Tranx 300A with a 5.8:1 ratio at 30" ipt or the Curado 300 with either 25" or 35" ipt. I looked at two Lexas, the Tatula 300, a Curado 300 and a Penn Fathom. We shall see. 

The Tranx 300 is a solid choice. I don’t own one, But I know many use them and love them. 

6 hours ago, Big Hands said:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I have owned a Tranx 400 and I don't want to have a reel of that size unless it's needed. I do plan to fish mostly 17-22 lb mono or fluorocarbon (mostly 20 or 22 lb) with this rig and that should be plenty strong. And, honestly, I don't think I need much over 100 yards of capacity, but the Curado 300K holds 150 yards of 20 lb mono and I think that would be plenty even for a chunky striper. The Tranx 300 holds 150 yards of 20 lb mono too. I know there are stripers where I fish most of the time, but they are rarely over ten pounds these days, and LMB just don't go on any blistering runs like a striper does. 

The one thing that some 400 size reels have going for them is that if the spool is relatively wide, the ipt will theoretically vary as much during the retrieve. I can't necessarily see exactly what my swimbait is doing when it's 150 feet away from me like I can when it's right at the boat. If I turn the crank at the same cadence with a relatively narrow/deep spool (like many 300 series reels have), the lure will be moving faster at the end of the retrieve than it does at the beginning. That is a tradeoff compared to a reel with a wider spool, but not something I am concerned about. 

I have both the Tranx 300 5.8:1 (30" IPT) and Curado 300 6.4:1 (35" IPT). Both are solid choices. This is coming from a Shimano guy, the Tatula casts slightly more effortlessly with the T-Wing and is more easily adjustable with the magnetic breaks on the outside of the reel. The Tranx is slightly heavier than the Curado and slightly more powerful.

What swimbaits do you typically fish? I would let that guide you as far as what exact ratio you want to get. If it's primarily soft baits and wakes then I would look at the 25" IPT. If you want something for all around use, 30" would be a good choice. If you fish mostly glides you want to manipulate with the reel handle then I would go for a faster retrieve ratio, but then it's going to be near impossible to slow down something over 35" IPT to creep a wakebait or softbait.

1 hour ago, Jerkbait22 said:

I have both the Tranx 300 5.8:1 (30" IPT) and Curado 300 6.4:1 (35" IPT). Both are solid choices. This is coming from a Shimano guy, the Tatula casts slightly more effortlessly with the T-Wing and is more easily adjustable with the magnetic breaks on the outside of the reel. The Tranx is slightly heavier than the Curado and slightly more powerful.

What swimbaits do you typically fish? I would let that guide you as far as what exact ratio you want to get. If it's primarily soft baits and wakes then I would look at the 25" IPT. If you want something for all around use, 30" would be a good choice. If you fish mostly glides you want to manipulate with the reel handle then I would go for a faster retrieve ratio, but then it's going to be near impossible to slow down something over 35" IPT to creep a wakebait or softbait.

I fish both soft swimbaits like the Magdraft 6", 8" and 10" and Huddleston 68's. I also fish hardbaits like SPRO BBZ1,  Baitsanity Antidote (maybe an Explorer), both sizes of the Jackall Gantarel, Megabass Vatalion and Big M 7.5, S-Wavers, Sixth Sense Cloud 9 Magnum SB, and maybe even some of my old AC Plugs (they weigh around 4 oz). Admittedly, all over the map, and some of these could be handled by my Phenix X-14T with a Curado 200 and I may end up feeling the need for a similar second rod with an alternative RoR.

I realize I may be searching for a 4WD Corvette that can tow a boat.

40 minutes ago, Big Hands said:

I fish both soft swimbaits like the Magdraft 6", 8" and 10" and Huddleston 68's. I also fish hardbaits like SPRO BBZ1,  Baitsanity Antidote (maybe an Explorer), both sizes of the Jackall Gantarel, Megabass Vatalion and Big M 7.5, S-Wavers, Sixth Sense Cloud 9 Magnum SB, and maybe even some of my old AC Plugs (they weigh around 4 oz). Admittedly, all over the map, and some of these could be handled by my Phenix X-14T with a Curado 200 and I may end up feeling the need for a similar second rod with an alternative RoR.

I realize I may be searching for a 4WD Corvette that can tow a boat.

Just my opinion but I'd go with the Tranx 300 5.8:1 at 30" IPT for those baits. I don't creep huddlestons so don't have experience there but I imagine it's a little too fast for that. It should be OK with the antidote and smaller sized glides but you'd want something faster to more easily be able to manipulate glides with turns of the reel handle. If you just use a slow steady retrieve for your glides you'll be just fine but IMO that's not the optimal retrieval method.

The Tatula 200 6.3:1 could also work at 28" IPT.