Well that’s a first…

danthefisherman

Got out on the river to try chasing some winter striped bass with glide baits. I had my bait upgraded to double SU Zero rings and 1/0 3X strength Owner ST-56 treble hooks. The fishing has been very slow for all species, so I was hunting for one big bite.

I came up to a grassy flat and made a long cast toward the bank. As I brought my bait in I could feel the hooks catch on the vegetation, so I gave my rod a few pumps to rip it free. On the third pump I got SLAMMED by something big. I leaned into the hook set and couldn’t even move the fish for a few seconds. I nearly lost my rod too, but thankfully the long handle caught on my life jacket. Then the fish started coming at me, so I reeled in like a mad man only to have this beastly carp surface near my kayak:

AC64BF08-3C95-4ADC-8B83-C9523AF63E56.thumb.jpeg.f89a323c57001c6210bdd70a5fe3aace.jpeg

This is the very first common carp that I’ve ever managed to land, and go figure that it attacked my 8.75” glide bait. My front treble hook was lodged just outside the corner of its mouth and the rear hook swing around to grab his pectoral fin. I don’t know much about carp behavior, but maybe they get aggressive or territorial during the winter? Crazy stuff and definitely a memorable catch. Fish was weighed 15.05lbs and measured 30+inches long.

2A314542-C956-425D-B94E-E32ED608703E.thumb.jpeg.e12df3d7e0d705c191d7d0c7f350aad2.jpeg

E01B5F44-8D12-4508-B6CA-B890739C3109.thumb.jpeg.dfc13a1d038a709d89459b90af8d6c1e.jpeg

B4E0B503-32E5-4B8E-9F36-132FF4D68A88.thumb.jpeg.94bf4a69ae2fee9dfb8c4d558299c752.jpeg

7 hours ago, GavinDH said:

That’s awesome man! Great catch! I couldn’t even imagine how great that fight was!!

The fish definitely put its weight into the fight, but my Shimano SLX rod made pretty quick work of it. The way the carp fought reminded me a lot of a salmon actually. Beats a skunk any day!

2 hours ago, BASS_SWINGER said:

Slimy

Very!

Carp are an absolute blast. I dont actively pursue them as they are diffucult to catch but i love it when i hook into one. A couple of years ago i landed a 30 lb monster on med spinning gear while using keitechs for river smallies. What a fight

7 hours ago, WaterWolf44 said:

Carp are an absolute blast. I dont actively pursue them as they are diffucult to catch but i love it when i hook into one. A couple of years ago i landed a 30 lb monster on med spinning gear while using keitechs for river smallies. What a fight

Gee a 30? Makes mine sound like a minnow!

Carp are crazy, fight like tanks, and get really big!

My biggest fish of 2022 was a carp. I was fishing the windblown bank of a local pond with my family. Casting a pretty big spinnerbait right bext to the bank a big carp smashed it. It was a great fight, and my 3 year old has been obsessed with fishing ever since! He wants to catch the next big one!

Great catch man, and what a surprise!

• 2 weeks later...