My NJ PB

AnthonyCatlow

Hey everyone, just wanted to share a fish that I caught here in northern NJ in mid November. To make a long story short, I had purchased a top hook Hud 68 special ROF 5 in 2020 when I had discovered swimbaiting through Jared Swafford (because of my BMX background) and through the excitement of buying many many new baits at that time the Hud sat in my box untouched up until this fall. After watching the Butch Brown video of him explaining how he likes to rig his Huds I realized I had the top hook one in my box still and could do this method on my bait. Fast forward to mid November, my first trip out with the BB rigged Hud I stuck a 4.5 (which is on the larger end of the spectrum of the fish I've caught out of my home lake) from the shore so needless to say I was sold on the bait and wondered why I hadn't tried fishing it much sooner. On the day I caught this fish it was bluebird skies and slightly windy and I just had an optimistic feeling about possibly sticking another good fish (relative to my waters). I get to my 2nd spot I like to fish from the shoreline (a steep drop off into about 5ft of water with boulders scattered about) and fire the bait up parallel with the bank and begin a medium slow retrieve. I got bumped about half way through the cast but at the time the fish didn't feel that large coming through the water. Once I had it in front of me and I bent down to lip it I realized that it was about the same size as my previous PB (a 5.1). I put the fish on my board and on my scale and she was 5.7 by 20" long. Im still super hyped to have caught this fish out of my home lake but I'm searching for that next bigger fish whenever it may come! Hope everyone has a great new year!    IMG_9272.heic

IMG_9286.JPG

• 2 weeks later...