New profiles

bassfishing24/7

I didn't realize I made an account back in 2014 - I am a "new member" that I guess has been around for a long-ass time :D I think as much as they get ish on through the "hardcore" swimbait community, a lot of the "influencers" and "pros" out there are doing a TON of good in getting the younger generations interested and involved. I feel a lot of people are drawn to both the big fish aspect of swimbaiting, but also the general vibe that the swimbait community gives off - tough as nails hardcore punk rock skate vibes, with also a ton of hype, positivity, and acceptance.

I'm not part of that generation, but definitely think the swimbait aesthetic fits in with the younger generation a lot more than a senko or fishing bait and bobber - there's no social media points for boring stuff like that anymore.

50 minutes ago, justintrask said:

I didn't realize I made an account back in 2014 - I am a "new member" that I guess has been around for a long-ass time :D I think as much as they get ish on through the "hardcore" swimbait community, a lot of the "influencers" and "pros" out there are doing a TON of good in getting the younger generations interested and involved. I feel a lot of people are drawn to both the big fish aspect of swimbaiting, but also the general vibe that the swimbait community gives off - tough as nails hardcore punk rock skate vibes, with also a ton of hype, positivity, and acceptance.

I'm not part of that generation, but definitely think the swimbait aesthetic fits in with the younger generation a lot more than a senko or fishing bait and bobber - there's no social media points for boring stuff like that anymore.

On point

54 minutes ago, justintrask said:

Same, I was on here in ~2011 as Fat-G. Lost the email associated with that account. And the ability to catch big fish lmfaooooooooo

I truly think that many influencers "glamify" swimbaiting. Many young kids see swimbaiting as a way to catch an easy giant. Most new guys to the sport will always have a swimbait rigged up, but will stop using it after they don't get a bite for an hour. I know many people like this. There is also a lack of people from what I have seen who show all the days they didn't catch fish on swimbaits or the hard work that lead to big catches. I am not "swimbait shaming" as I was extremely guilty when I was younger of doing these things. I would take 5 cast with a swimbait not get any hits and go back to whatever conventional rods I had rigged up. Throwing a big baits is an easy type of fishing to get into because money is your way in, but is a hard one to stick with for many people because time is the only way you can improve. Just my 2 cents.

13 minutes ago, ctbrahan said:

Most new guys to the sport will always have a swimbait rigged up, but will stop using it after they don't get a bite for an hour

13 minutes ago, ctbrahan said:

Throwing a big baits is an easy type of fishing to get into because money is your way in, but is a hard one to stick with for many people because time is the only way you can improve.

These two facts are 100% accurate for the vast majority of anglers who dip their toes into fishing big swimbaits. Not everyone, but the majority. And I can understand the mindset from younger guys. It’s all about catching bass.

I accidentally won a tournament over 2 decades ago on 8” Optimum swimbaits I’d never thrown until that day. That’s when the big bait addiction started. I still threw mostly traditional but I kept adding more and more swimbaits and glides and buying bigger and bigger baits. Some tournaments they caught the kicker or a couple of big ones to stuff a limit. Others…the bass wanted none of them. But I reached a point many years ago that I had spent enough time on the water throwing conventional tackle and it was getting stale. So that’s when I went all in on swimbaits/glides/wakes/crank downs etc. 

On 1/30/2023 at 3:30 PM, justintrask said:

nice to see around man! hope the kiddos are big enough to get some free time on the water 

I’m not as new to swimbaits as I am to this community. I started throwing swimbaits about 7 years ago, making me 14 turning 15. @KeepinItReelFishing had posted some of his YouTube videos and that got me started. I bought a 90.00 lamiglass rod, a Hudd 68, a Mattlures baby hardgill, and a ganteral to start with. Couldn’t bring myself to throw the 6+ inch baits at that time! On my first day throwing the ganteral I saw the largest snook I had ever seen in my life following. Later that week I missed a bass on the Hudd and then missed another fished that doubled my rod over and wouldn’t budge when I set the hook. Since those three missed fish I’ve never used conventional. To this day they still give me motivation to keep throwing baits even when there’s been weeks between hits. Nowadays I love the thought of catching fish on something made by one dude in a garage. I love the idea and being able to communicate directly with the maker! This past year I joined the community and learned a whole new aspect that I love. This community is truly something I cherish. Just thought I’d throw my experience in as when I started I was younger and I’m young to the community. Thank you all! I hope everyone has a great rest of their weeks!

Here’s my take on “ new blood “ in the swimbait game. 

New blood and fresh money drives innovation and keeps bait makers, rod companies, reel companies and all the other associated businesses moving forward with better products for us - if it wasn’t a growing market place these companies def wouldn’t be putting money into build better products. 

As others have said there’s going to be guys that throw swimbaits to be cool and ultimately don’t have the drive to continue on with it so they’ll sell their gear on the BM - more bargains for us. 

Thankfully theres not many in my immediate area throwing big baits and the one or 2 that do are great people that I share info, techniques, tackle set ups, bait info and other big bait info with. One in particular is @NJSwimbatslinger who I constantly bounce ideas off. 

The only negative I see with a small fraction of swimbaiters is the POSERS and Flippers. 

12 hours ago, chefchris said:

nice to see around man! hope the kiddos are big enough to get some free time on the water 

Little dude should get his first casts in later this year, and we got #2 due in May, so my fishing season's shot before it even begins!

12 hours ago, Jim137a said:

The only negative I see with a small fraction of swimbaiters is the POSERS and Flippers. 

That happens in any "subculture" though, and unfortunately it's true that they say a few bad apples ruins the bunch - I think swimbaiting gets a real bad rep sometimes from outsiders because all they see are the posers, flipper prices, etc. I was scared to start being involved with the community because everyone comes off as a smug arrogant ass, but at the end of the day, the people I've met through the various swimbaiting forums and channels are some of the most GENUINE, smug, arrogant asses I've ever met.

Probably a new face to most people here I am in my forties but just started fishing again a couple of years ago. Still fish conventional but I fished a lot more swimbaits last season. One part is the bite that swimbaits produce and another part of it is the baits themselves and what the painters are doing with them. It’s art, plain and simple.