Tank of a Striper! New PB

porkmeatballs

I've been tinkering with a new prototype glide that I made for quite some time now and am slowly getting it dialed to perform the way that I need it to. I got a few big largies to follow it and one to T-bone the bait, but I wasn't able to hook up. Swimbait fishing has always been pretty slow this time of year, so I wasn't too worried about not getting bit regularly and continued to chuck the glide out just for the fun of it. On one particular outing I was on the water testing the glide yet again when I saw something sizable bust on the surface. I immediately chucked the glide to it, gave it a few pops, and instantly got hammered! It was only a 6.5 lb striper, but boy did I think I had a giant on the end of my line!

IMG_6381.thumb.JPG.0c91a1913f7a8ee15b8a19b741c5624d.JPG

I was stoked to have finally landed a decent fish on my new glide. I took a few pictures, revived her, and let her swim away strong. After that I had a major boost of confidence and continued to fish like the next cast could get me an even bigger fish. About 15 minutes later I was standing up in my little kayak trying to keep a close eye on my glide swim through the water when something giant slammed the bait so hard that it almost knocked me out of my yak! Seeing that it was a big striper, I immediately sat down, loosened my drag, and hung on for the ride! The striper then proceeded to make wild runs up and down the river and seemed to ignore the fact that it was towing a kayak behind it. After a large amount of adrenaline and screaming I finally worked the beast to the boat and managed to fit my tiny lip gripper onto its mouth. I then slowly paddled to shore to get some pictures and measurements. The beast came in at 29.66 lbs which beat my previous PB by 9.6 lbs! It was a struggle to get good pictures as I was by myself, getting swarmed by mosquitos, and didn't want to keep the fish out of the water too long. As with the first striper, I revived her and let her go strong. After that I saw one more giant surface, but didn't get another bite. My goal now is to get a 35+, but I sure wouldn't mind catching a few more 30's along the way :-D

IMG_6404.thumb.JPG.6676fb0457635e67cad74f2971a19029.JPG

IMG_6397.thumb.JPG.48e1022b399f52772f0b010c4d600d58.JPG

IMG_6425.thumb.JPG.74770889281681beccf99ca5f936faca.JPG

IMG_6413.thumb.JPG.8f8a491dd4ac762d91aafca311e36f7b.JPG

9 minutes ago, monkeyonthemoon said:

Very nice striper! If you plan on targeting the giants, I'd recommend upgrading to some 4x hooks like owner st 66. Good luck on your quest for a future giant

These are Mustad Triple Grips which I thought were fairly strong, but I guess they're not ideal for fish that size haha. That being said, they can handle largies no problem!

12 minutes ago, CG_Fishes said:

What a fish! So badass on your own bait solo out of the yak too!

It was quite the adventure! Although I wish I had had someone else there to take better pictures :-(