Cashion Icon MH swimbait rod 1/2-3 oz

B_larkin3

Anyone throw a TK, G2 shell cracker, s waver 168 on this rod? Currently trying to decide whether to go with this one or a dobyns 794. I have the 795 and it’s a great rod for 2-3 oz baits but I feel like I need something softer for the smaller baits.

I’ve had a lot of success throwing 1-2 oz lures on a glass composite cranking stick. Right now I use a shimano curado mh and it’s my favorite rod for small baits like the my 5” tt stubby and tater hoochie momma. I’ve been hard eying the Phenix x series heavy cranking rods, glass composite and rated 1/2-3 oz. they make a 7’ version that I’m very interested in as I’ve been enjoying shorter rods lately

The evergreen nd-180 rod (combat stick) is another good option if you’re ok with split grip. I think it’s rated 1/2-4 but the sweet spot is 1-3. I wouldn’t throw anything over 3.5 with it. Good TK and G2 rod. You can get one for under $200 when you find a sale. 

I really love the Icon rods but I mostly throw the BGC 7s, smaller HPHs, and G2s on the rod. I have thrown a TK on it and it felt great but I just haven't had much success with DRT stuff eventhough I'm gonna try it more this year. I prefer shorter handles when throwing smaller swimbaits. But just remember the handle is made of a carbon material that with abuse frays just a little bit, not much. Just letting you know because to some folks it feels like cheap plastic, but I love it. I just got through ordering another one and the one rated 1-6 ounces which I own also. But in comparison, I've only had experience throwing swimbaits on Leviathons, a Megabass Triza Dragoon travel rod, and the Icons. Hope this helps!

20230211_132826.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 2/11/2023 at 2:46 PM, Phil A. said:

I really love the Icon rods but I mostly throw the BGC 7s, smaller HPHs, and G2s on the rod. I have thrown a TK on it and it felt great but I just haven't had much success with DRT stuff eventhough I'm gonna try it more this year. I prefer shorter handles when throwing smaller swimbaits. But just remember the handle is made of a carbon material that with abuse frays just a little bit, not much. Just letting you know because to some folks it feels like cheap plastic, but I love it. I just got through ordering another one and the one rated 1-6 ounces which I own also. But in comparison, I've only had experience throwing swimbaits on Leviathons, a Megabass Triza Dragoon travel rod, and the Icons. Hope this helps!

20230211_132826.jpg

Does the heavy version do good with 5oz baits?