Another rat to the pack

Big Epp

Several others have recently posted mouse or rat lures, so I figured I try my hand at one. And for once, I actually finished the project! I did a bunch of googling, and read several articles about fishing with rats. Along the way I found a build tutorial, and used it as the base for my rat lure. I did not follow any of the dimensions exactly and made some modifications based on other stuff I read.

Link to tutorial: https://www.thefisherman.com/article/plug-building-2-rat-swimbait/

20230225_202332.jpg

20230225_202338.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2023 at 5:41 PM, Big Epp said:

For those of you who make and fish rats, what do you like in a rat lure? What are you looking for when considering whether or not to buy one?

Thanks!

I like my rats to have a nice wake on a slow swim, the slower I can swim it the better. Cool looking bait btw

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/27/2023 at 8:41 PM, Big Epp said:

For those of you who make and fish rats, what do you like in a rat lure? What are you looking for when considering whether or not to buy one?

Thanks!

I fish my rats at night. I like to fish them slow and still have a decent knock or clacking sound.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Latest rat. Turned on the lathe and then carved out for more detail and a different body shape. Coated with JB Weld steel reinforced epoxy, so it's basically bomb proof! The epoxy also gives the illusion of fur and wiskers. 

I'm really happy with how it turned out and how it swims!

20231116_144600.jpg