Real Prey 10" trout

hookedup

I've been fishing this bait a lot lately so I figured I would do a review of it since there isn't much info on these on the web.

IMG_20131104_120957_792_zpscdc557fb.jpg

REAL PREY SWIMBAITS and Joe:

I can write a lot about my experience with ordering my bait from Real Prey but Ill just say this. Joe is awesome. He emailed me after I placed my order asking about rate of fall I was looking for and how I would rig the bait. I wanted a bait that would fall similar to a ROF12 hudd and he told me to go with his Medium sink and it was right on. He kept me in the loop via emails while he was making the bait and let me know when it was finished and shipped out. Great guy and great company.

Initial Impressions:

Two things really jumped out at me when I saw this bait. First was, "my good this bait is huge" and "the paint and finish of this bait are top notch".

This bait dwarfs a 8" hudd (see pic bellow). Remember that feeling when you went from fishing 6" hudds to 8" hudds? I got that feeling again throwing this thing for the first time. I have 2 baits, one I bought used from a member on here that is a slow sink and the one I just got from Joe that's a medium sink. The bait is exactly 10" long and the slow sink weighs in at 7.8oz and the medium at 8.3oz.

The paint is superb. The silicone feels a bit tougher and less supple than a hudd. It seems like it will be very durable over time.

IMG_20131104_121040_086_zpsd354cf92.jpg

Fishing:

Bait has a good tail kick at any speed and does not roll over when reeled faster. At slow speeds the tail kick is not as hard as a hudd rof5. The tail is probably twice the size of a hudds so even though its not kicking as hard as a hudd its probably moving as much water if not more. Both baits I have sink vertically but the medium sink goes down at a slight nose down angle.

I rigged my Medium sink BB style with no stinger hook. My thought was, because I would be fishing it so slow, and the bait is so big, any decent size fish will grab this thing by the head. The slow sink I have is rigged with a stinger mostly because that's the way I got it and I would be fishing that one off the bottom so less chance of snags. So far I am 2/2 on the slow sink and 1/1 on the medium sink. The fish I caught on the BB rig was just over 6lbs.

Conclusion:

I really like this bait. The reservoir I fish rarely stocks any trout under 10" so I feel like this bait has the look of a freshly stocked trout. Also, because of the fishing pressure in California, and everyone throwing swimbaits out here in the winter has a hudd tied on, changing things up a bit cant hurt.

IMG_20131103_065918_239_zps955e4c9f.jpg

Thanks guys, it really is a nice bait. If you like fishing hudds, it would be a good bait to add to give the fish something new to look at. I'm looking forward to fishing some deep water with this thing during the winter months. I wanted to add, I'm using a dobyns 807 to fish it and it casts it very well but I'd bet the 867 would be even better.

Hey Dan, thanks for a great review of the 10" trout. The bottom trout in that picture is from the first batch of about 12 that I made. All of these were purchased by 1 person that I will not name. He then gave them all out to people as gifts. He was so excited by this trout that he wanted to get them in the hands of some great fisherman. Looks like somebody sold you their free gift.

Thanks for the good review man, I've been throwing the slow sink a lot this last week or two. One solid hit but she came unbuttoned when she broke the surface. Nothing big, maybe 5# on a BB rig but with an added stinger along the back. I've been throwing it on the Dobyns 867 but feel like it's at the top end of the sweet spot. Wish I had a 908 to try it out on... can't wait to toss the Medium sink around this week. Good luck and keep us posted on how these continue working for you. Thanks again for showing me others are rigging it similar to myself; confidence boost.