Newbie to Big swimbaits.

Flippin4Biggins

Hey all I’m Cory obviously new.

last year I finally started to throw bigger keitech 6-7.8  and decided with that success I was seeing why not try some bigger stuff like glide baits and wakes

So I looked around and did some research and eventually bought a fury 795 and I already had a Concept A3 and a Revo beast x laying around so I’ll try those.   And what I bought was a gantrel jr, antidote, s waver 168-200, 6th sense trace, Spro Rat, hudd 68, 6” mag draft, savage gear rod BG, and a burrito

noW I understand it’s all about time on the water and dialing the bait in to run the way you want.  My question that always always pops into my head is when do you know the bait is too big for the fish in your lake.  Say one particular lake I’ve fished for the last 5 years I can constantly find 10-16” all day and out of a 100 I may see 10 16-18”. I have however caught and seen spawned out 20”s. I’ve been told there are bigger.  But assuming you haven’t seen the bigger ones what helps and makes you guys decide ya this just isn’t a swimbait lake or is that even a thing?

any tips and advice or people to follow on YouTube  would be awesome.

thanks in advance!

Check out this topic from the archives. I think you will see even smaller ones will absolutely hammer a large swimbait. 

With that being said, the baits you have described in your arsenal should be perfect for the size of the fish your are describing. The ultimate goal is to appeal to the largest fish in your body of water. That particular fish got big for a reason, and it’s your puzzle to figure out how to get it to commit to one of your offerings.

It does pay to fish waters with known big fish in it. But you may never know what them unknown bodies of water hold till you fish it extensively and see what potential you can unlock. 

Hope some of that makes sense. 

I catch fish of all sizes on hard baits. Now if you're targeting the bigger/ biggest fish, I'd try finding out what they're likely eating and go from there. By "go from there", I don't just mean the bait size, but also where and how to fish them.

Match your baits to the forage. I've thrown a Deps 250 on every lake in a 30 mile radius around my house. Of these lakes only one is trout stocked and that is the only one where I have gotten on a consistent bite with the 250. That being said your baits are pretty small and should get bit by 2+ pounders anywhere.

I also key in on tossing them at the best bite windows to optimize my opportunity to land one. For example, I went out last weekend and I only seriously tossed my glide for the 1st hr of day break when I expected the fish to be the most active/willing to hit something big. I only got one bite in that whole window...was a decent smallmouth but she jumped off before I could get the net in the water.

Early light and at dusk/night will be your best. Night bites tend to be more aggressive. That can help build your confidence if it's safe to fish at night there. 

Put in a lot of time especially NOW if your fish are in prespawn mode. Your fish are looking to fatten up.