Daiwa Tatula 300 feedback

FOX941

I’m not able to find a Calcutta conquestA so started looking at Daiwa. I was about to order a Lexa TW 400 just to get the lower gear ratio in the 5:1, otherwise a 300 size reel would be good enough for me. I’m mainly throwing 2-4oz baits.  The Tatula is about a hundred bucks less and I like the handle better even though I’ll prob end up replacing it.  Any reason to stay away from the Tatula 300?  I’m a life long shimano user so this is my first Daiwa.  I’ll be pairing it with a LDC workshop XH. 

I own five tatula 300s. I absolutely love them. Stock 110mm handles, buttery smooth, and durable. They also just fit in the hand very well, super ergonomic feel. I wouldn't hesitate. 

Tatula 300 in the 7.1 ratio is my favorite reel I’ve ever fished. Built like a tank, super powerful when dealing with big fish and big baits, and I haven’t had the need to replace the stock handle. All around great reel and beats out much of the competition by a long shot (in my opinion, obviously). Do not hesitate!!

23 minutes ago, FOX941 said:

Y’all think that it’s better than the tranx300?

I'm a shimano guy and it's much more updated than the tranx platform which is like 10 years old now? Size is comparable, I like the way the tranx plams slightly better but the Tat 300 outperforms it every other way.

I have a Curado 300K that I prefer over both but if palming isn't an issue the Tat 300 is definitely the way to go. Only issue could be if you plan to fish softies or wakes because even the slow gear ratio on the Tat is pretty fast at almost 34" per turn.

4 minutes ago, FOX941 said:

Yeah I’m going to order the 5.3:1.  It shows it was 28.1 inches per crank so hopefully that’s good enough for my wake baits.  

I would get the 6.3, I have 2 of those I use for wake baits. As everyone else has said, the Tat 300 is an awesome reel, I love mine. I have a Hawgtech handle on one of them. 

23 minutes ago, FOX941 said:

Yeah I’m going to order the 5.3:1.  It shows it was 28.1 inches per crank so hopefully that’s good enough for my wake baits.  

it comes in a 5.3:1? You might have just cost me money, lol. I have only seen the 6.3:1.

Yup. Lol. 

Thank y’all for input.  I think I’m going to go ahead and pull the trigger on a new Tatula 300 over the TW 400 or now. 

I have a UFO mothership coming soon. If I like the Tatula 300 I think I’m going to pick up the Lexa TW 400 for it when I can get my hands on a XXH rod. 

27 minutes ago, FOX941 said:

Yup. Lol. 

Thank y’all for input.  I think I’m going to go ahead and pull the trigger on a new Tatula 300 over the TW 400 or now. 

I have a UFO mothership coming soon. If I like the Tatula 300 I think I’m going to pick up the Lexa TW 400 for it when I can get my hands on a XXH rod. 

The Tatula 300 will throw that bait easily! 

2 hours ago, FOX941 said:

Yup. Lol. 

a tatula 300 will throw a mothership with ease. and if anything just order a tatula 400 from japan tackle, its only 237  dollars compared to the 389 dollars the lexa costs.

6 hours ago, FOX941 said:

I’m not able to find a Calcutta conquestA so started looking at Daiwa. I was about to order a Lexa TW 400 just to get the lower gear ratio in the 5:1, otherwise a 300 size reel would be good enough for me. I’m mainly throwing 2-4oz baits.  The Tatula is about a hundred bucks less and I like the handle better even though I’ll prob end up replacing it.  Any reason to stay away from the Tatula 300?  I’m a life long shimano user so this is my first Daiwa.  I’ll be pairing it with a LDC workshop XH. 

Digitaka has some