Tyrant 10

Efrain

What rod do you guys recommend for this lure? I have had a hard time finding a solid weedless rod in the past but I am currently looking at the Phenix ultra swimbait classic in either 7'9 or 8'0 heavy fast, both rated 2-8 oz.

Planning to fish it on the Dobyns 908 (already have the rod) if I get in on the drop. Might not work for everyone though, but I fish 9.5" Nates and the DS Flying V on the 908. I also fish 8" weedless hudds on the Dobyns 867; works like a charm if you get used to it. Fishing all 3 baits on 25# P-Line PF. Once again, not for everyone due to the moderate taper on both rods, but I like them.

I originally bought the Dobyns 908 for the Hinkle Trout and the Mother. Didn't really like fishing either bait (the rod was fine, I guess I don't know how to fish glides bigger than the 250), so the rod sat for 3 odd years until I discovered the 9.5" Nates.

51 minutes ago, Emoney said:

I think that email says it. It shouldn’t be your first swimbait. 

Well, it's going to be my second swimbait. I hope that's all right with some of you lol.

I am excited about the different rigging possibilities. Can't really rig the 8" weedless hudd very many ways and it sinks FAST; and while the 9.5" Nates is more versatile, I never really had as much success with it as I have with the 8" weedless and non-weedless hudds. Not sure why, it's a good design. Maybe I haven't put in enough time with it (as I have with the hudds).

I hope the price and the size keeps away some of the googans and the flippers so that those who want to fish one can get one (or four!).

Kinda went off the original topic about rods, my bad.

5 hours ago, Emoney said:

Just currious. How many people plan to buy one. If you see this like it. Meaning you’d buy it. I think that email says it. It shouldn’t be your first swimbait. Gonna be a cool bait I think 

I am buying it for the surf. Planning on landing some big ass calico and white seabass on it.

22 hours ago, maiti said:

Planning to fish it on the Dobyns 908 (already have the rod) if I get in on the drop. Might not work for everyone though, but I fish 9.5" Nates and the DS Flying V on the 908. I also fish 8" weedless hudds on the Dobyns 867; works like a charm if you get used to it. Fishing all 3 baits on 25# P-Line PF. Once again, not for everyone due to the moderate taper on both rods, but I like them.

I originally bought the Dobyns 908 for the Hinkle Trout and the Mother. Didn't really like fishing either bait (the rod was fine, I guess I don't know how to fish glides bigger than the 250), so the rod sat for 3 odd years until I discovered the 9.5" Nates.

I second what you said about using the 908 and 867 for weedless or jig hook softies like Hudds or hawghunters. They’ve got a ton of line pick up to drive hooks from their length and plenty of parabolic bend to load up and keep that giant hunk of soft plastic from ripping the hooks out. 

Edited by Morgan Y

21 hours ago, maiti said:

Well, it's going to be my second swimbait. I hope that's all right with some of you lol.

I am excited about the different rigging possibilities. Can't really rig the 8" weedless hudd very many ways and it sinks FAST; and while the 9.5" Nates is more versatile, I never really had as much success with it as I have with the 8" weedless and non-weedless hudds. Not sure why, it's a good design. Maybe I haven't put in enough time with it (as I have with the hudds).

I hope the price and the size keeps away some of the googans and the flippers so that those who want to fish one can get one (or four!).

Kinda went off the original topic about rods, my bad.

If you don’t like the rof on your Hudds slice the belly open and widdle away as much lead as you want until you get your desired fall rate. Fill in the space where the lead was with soft plastic or vinyl glue and use mend it to seal the belly back up. Easy fix and you can always go back and add more lead. 

32 minutes ago, Morgan Y said:

If you don’t like the rof on your Hudds slice the belly open and widdle away as much lead as you want until you get your desired fall rate. Fill in the space where the lead was with soft plastic or vinyl glue and use mend it to seal the belly back up. Easy fix and you can always go back and add more lead. 

Yeah I do that all the time with regular (non-weedless) hudds. No problems at all. The non-weedless hudd is a perfect design in my eyes, comes in 4 different ROFs, can be rigged on the top or the bottom, and the bait is small enough to use just one size 2 treble (not a typo, size 2) close to the dorsal fin and not miss bites.

The harness on the weedless hudds are different. Tried it one time, and messed up the bait.

After a lot of trial and error, I know what I want: An ROF ~10 wedgetail bait that sits upright on the bottom, has a line tie on the nose, can be fished super slow, and can be rigged Butch Brown-style. I'll see if I can make that happen with the Tyrant.

Edited by maiti

I've had the Phenix BD 800H. it was a good calico rod for the SoCal kelp. I also used it to throw the Deps 250. It throws 6 oz pretty well. If you get your hands on a Tyrant and catch some good salt fish on it, post those pics. Would be awesome seeing what you catch on it out of the salt. A two pound calico might end up chewing the tail off it and that might be that tho. :)

6 hours ago, maiti said:

Yeah I do that all the time with regular (non-weedless) hudds. No problems at all. The non-weedless hudd is a perfect design in my eyes, comes in 4 different ROFs, can be rigged on the top or the bottom, and the bait is small enough to use just one size 2 treble (not a typo, size 2) close to the dorsal fin and not miss bites.

The harness on the weedless hudds are different. Tried it one time, and messed up the bait.

After a lot of trial and error, I know what I want: An ROF ~10 wedgetail bait that sits upright on the bottom, has a line tie on the nose, can be fished super slow, and can be rigged Butch Brown-style. I'll see if I can make that happen with the Tyrant.

The harness system on the weedless is sensitive like you said. The way I didn’t end up ruining mine is by shaving the lead instead of entirely chopping it. Kept the structure but reduced the weight. Also yes I agree with the size 2 treble bb rigged. The other option is 2 size 4s, one at the head and one at the adipose fin.