Irod Genesis 3 Swimbait Rods VS Irod Kaimana Coastal Rods

DEPS_250

I am looking for a dedicated small/light glide bait and hard bait rod that can handle 3-4oz. I am looking at getting the Irod Genesis 3 Large Swimbait 7'9" Heavy or an Irod Kaimana Coastal 7'9" Heavy Poes Mag Stick.

I have heard complaints from a lot of guys saying the guides on the Irod Genesis 3 are small and giving guys problems with braid to leader knots. Is this true? I am a braid to leader guy and I was kind of bummed out when I heard that the guides were small and not working so well for braid to leader setups. 

On the other hand, I have heard that Irod kind of already knew about this issue and why they came out with the Kaimana Coastal and Kaimana swimbait series of rods. The Kaimana coastal series was designed for saltwater inshore fishing and therefore the guides are bigger and stronger to accomodate braid to leader knots. The problem is...the Irod Kaimana Coastal 7'9" Heavy Poes Mag Stick is only rated up to 2oz.

I originally wanted to go with the Genesis 3 since its lure rating is rated higher and can definitely handle 3-4oz baits. But I was bummed out about the guides not working for braid to leader. Than I found out about the Kaimana Coastal series and was really glad the guides were bigger and better for braid to leader knots. But I was bummed out about the lure rating and if it can handle 3-4oz baits.

I don't want to deal with small guides and problems with leader knots so I am definitely thinking the Genesis 3 might be out of the question. I am definitely leaning more towards the Kaimana. Should I go with the Irod Kaimana Coastal 7'9" Heavy Poes Mag Stick? Does anyone know if it can handle 3-4oz baits comfortably?

I use the Poes Mag Stick exclusively for my Wade Hoggs. I use 65lb maxcuatro and tie direct since I pretty much only wake the bait. The Poes handles the Wade Hoggs perfectly.

I use the sniper swim for my micro mink, my OG Wade, TK’s and the Toxic Juke Glide, I use 65lb maxcuatro with a short 25lb leader, 12” or so. I crankdown these baits.

Poes Mag is a staple in my arsenal, I throw up 3.5 oz baits on mine with zero issues. Glides, wakes and crankdowns. 

Anything larger than that, I'm usually grabbing my Gen III sniper swim or in the Kaimana line my 804MH M or 804MH.

8 ft offerings with the same Fuji slanted K guides as Poes Mag. 

Both rated 2oz - 6oz but will handle more just like their smaller brethren. 

There is a 3rd one, 805H, rated 2oz - 6oz but from my understanding is a beast. 

I have one of the bigger Gen IIIs. its a good rod but as a braid to leader guy as well I wish I had found a rod with bigger guides for sure. 90% of the time its not an issue but sometimes when reeling the know into my guides it gets caught on the top few guides which worries me even though I use an FG knot

Get the kaimana 804MH-Fast it's butter for 3-5oz glides and topwater plugs. The gen3  baileys 804H-swim guides are big enough for 100lb max cuatro to 40lb big game leader depending on what connection knot you tie, i do a blood knot (11 braid wraps, 8 mono wraps)  and they go through just fine and that rods almost exactly the same feeling throwing a 4-5oz glide but with a little softer tip than the kaimana model. 

SICK!!! Exactly the 2 kinds of responses I was looking for.

23 hours ago, Jscarbr said:

I use the Poes Mag Stick exclusively for my Wade Hoggs. I use 65lb maxcuatro and tie direct since I pretty much only wake the bait. The Poes handles the Wade Hoggs perfectly.

I use the sniper swim for my micro mink, my OG Wade, TK’s and the Toxic Juke Glide, I use 65lb maxcuatro with a short 25lb leader, 12” or so. I crankdown these baits.

@Jscarbr Wade Hoggs is 4oz and I was definitely thinking about getting a Wade Hoggs anyways. Its good to know the Poes Mag can handle the 4oz wade hoggs. Sniper swim is too short for what I am planning to use the rod for. I think the sniper swim is 7'6", iirc. Solid rod choice though I am sure.

22 hours ago, LowSpinner said:

Poes Mag is a staple in my arsenal, I throw up 3.5 oz baits on mine with zero issues. Glides, wakes and crankdowns. 

Anything larger than that, I'm usually grabbing my Gen III sniper swim or in the Kaimana line my 804MH M or 804MH.

8 ft offerings with the same Fuji slanted K guides as Poes Mag. 

Both rated 2oz - 6oz but will handle more just like their smaller brethren. 

There is a 3rd one, 805H, rated 2oz - 6oz but from my understanding is a beast. 

@LowSpinner 3.5oz is the ideal weight I was planning on throwing. River2Sea S-Waver 200 is 3.5oz and is what I currently throw a lot of. I was also planning on throwing 3-4oz rats and wake baits anyways if I decide to get the Poes Mag. I am definitely not planning to go over 4oz if I get the Poe's Mag. I am already planning on getting a Megabass Levante Leviathan for 4oz+ baits anyways. The Kaimana Swimbait series looks sick too and would be solid choices. On the other hand, the 8' rods are too long for me and will not work for what I am planning to use the rod for. 

I am definitely dead set on a 7'9" rod. I need a rod for mostly open water glides, some cover glides and hard body swimbaits/topwaters and although I do like the extra length on a 8' rod, they tend to be a little cumbersome. I am currently using a 7'11" swimbait rod for light/small glide baits and although it gets the job done, I feel like its too long and cumbersome for working smaller glide baits with the tip of the rod like you would for a topwater spook. I am also a bank fishermen and the 8' rods are too cumbersome around cover, bushes and trees and they tend to wear me out after a long day on the water. I feel like 7'9" is 'where its at', as far as having the perfect/optimal length to be able to work small/light open water glide baits, cover glides and hardbaits. Its still longer than a 7'6" so you can get more distance for covering water, while also being not too long as to be cumbersome and causing too much fatigue after a long day throwing big baits. 

Its good to hear that the Poes Mag can definitely handle 3-4oz. I think I am definitely going to get the Kaimana Poes Mag now. It certainly looks better than the Genesis III rods too IMO. The black and green look was actually starting to look old and a little outdated anyways, at least to me. The Kaimana series definitely looks way cooler, more modern and up to date. 

14 hours ago, riosfishes said:

Get the kaimana 804MH-Fast it's butter for 3-5oz glides and topwater plugs. The gen3  baileys 804H-swim guides are big enough for 100lb max cuatro to 40lb big game leader depending on what connection knot you tie, i do a blood knot (11 braid wraps, 8 mono wraps)  and they go through just fine and that rods almost exactly the same feeling throwing a 4-5oz glide but with a little softer tip than the kaimana model. 

@riosfishes Read my current post/reply as far as 8' rods are concerned. I did not know that the guides were upgraded to larger ones on the Bailey's swim. Definitely a solid choice for sure, but an 8' rod is not going to work for me. 

Why didn't Irod upgrade all of the other Genesis III swimbait rods to bigger guides? Why Irod only chose to upgrade the guides on only 1 model is anyone's guess but I think they should of at least done the same thing for all of the swimbait models when they were making/conceiving the Genesis III rods. Are the guides on the Genesis III rods the same as what is on the previous Gen 2 models or did Irod upgrade them to better guides when releasing the Genesis III? 

23 hours ago, monkeyonthemoon said:

I have one of the bigger Gen IIIs. its a good rod but as a braid to leader guy as well I wish I had found a rod with bigger guides for sure. 90% of the time its not an issue but sometimes when reeling the know into my guides it gets caught on the top few guides which worries me even though I use an FG knot

If I fish very thin braid and leaders with a very thin leader knot...Would the Irod Genesis III Large Swimbait still work even though the guides might be a little small? I am currently using 40lb braid to 20-25lb leader with an SC knot for small/light glide baits and hard baits in the 3-4oz range. I am thinking my setup would still work on the Genesis III Large Swimbait even though it has small guides since I tend to prefer lighter/skinnier line diameters anyways. 

Edited by DEPS_250

Different opinion here, I have a poe's mag stick and wouldn't even think about throwing a wade hoggs on it, too sketchy. Not sure if I just prefer a more stout rod. I throw stuff 3.5-4+ on a genesis 3 bailey's swim. As for guides I have 50lb braid to 17lb flouro leader with an Albright knot on the poes stick and don't have any problems 

Was also looking at the Dobyns Fury 795 swimbait rod too.

Does anyone know if the Dobyns Fury 795 can handle 3-4oz comfortably? I have heard that 1-3oz is its wheel house and anything north of 3oz was kind of pushing it. I need some confirmation from others here who have experience with the Fury 795. Also, is the action soft and parabolic enough for treble hook hard baits? Its rated as a fast but since the rod is sold at a lower price point, I figured the graphite should be a lower modulus/grade and the action would probably be more slow and moderate and still work for treble hook baits. 

Edited by DEPS_250

8 hours ago, DEPS_250 said:

@riosfishes Read my current post/reply as far as 8' rods are concerned. I did not know that the guides were upgraded to larger ones on the Bailey's swim. Definitely a solid choice for sure, but an 8' rod is not going to work for me. 

Why didn't Irod upgrade all of the other Genesis III swimbait rods to bigger guides? Why Irod only chose to upgrade the guides on only 1 model is anyone's guess but I think they should of at least done the same thing for all of the swimbait models when they were making/conceiving the Genesis III rods. Are the guides on the Genesis III rods the same as what is on the previous Gen 2 models or did Irod upgrade them to better guides when releasing the Genesis III? 

I dont think you're gonna find any 7'9 that does what you're wanting honestly. Far as the guides go I have no idea but I'm sure Matt Newman would be the best person to message on ig or Facebook about it and give you some better advice on rod choice. Why don't you go to a tackle shop and put your hands on different models and put some load on the ends and see what feels best? 

12 minutes ago, riosfishes said:

I dont think you're gonna find any 7'9 that does what you're wanting honestly. Far as the guides go I have no idea but I'm sure Matt Newman would be the best person to message on ig or Facebook about it and give you some better advice on rod choice. Why don't you go to a tackle shop and put your hands on different models and put some load on the ends and see what feels best? 

Haha lol, you actually beat me to my next reply/post.

I actually found a tackle shop close to me that kind of specializes in selling Irod rods and they seem to carry all the models and tries to keep them in stock all the time. I am planning to go there within the next few days and I was planning on bringing my reel and my baits to try and test all of the Irods they have on hand. I am hoping they will have a Poes mag stick along with the other Kaimana models as well as some of the Genesis 3's too. Fingers crossed here.  

Edited by DEPS_250

I would go with the 794 Kaimana coastal. I’ve used it up to a K9 with no issues. The 794 is an amazing rod for the money and hard to beat at that price point. It has up size Fuji k guides to allow a braid to leader knot to go through with zero issues. Personally if you are running braid to leader on swims and allowing that knot to go through the guides you are just asking for heartbreak. Every time that knot ticks the guides it weakens the knot. 

On 4/30/2023 at 10:45 AM, Jscarbr said:

Can the sniper handle 2-3 oz weedless lures?