Tyrant Setup

Efrain

I picked up the irod 8'6  magnum  Bailey's Swim rod to toss the tyrant on. The rods entry level price point made sense considering this is my first real big bait and it is not a huge investment if it is not my thing. What I can't figure out however, is what size reel and line to throw it on. Is a 300 with 25 lb floro appropriate? Also I will mostly be throwing this out in the socal salt for calico bass, but would like to hear what reel and line y'all are using. Thanks

Mike posted two videos of the set up he’s throwing it on which is a tatula 300 6.3 with 20 or 17lb line with a proto drt rod 

I’ll be throwing the one picked up a nameless 790 (2-8oz) and conquest 400 (my tatula 300 is the slow one 4.8:1) braid to mono leader and rigging it floating 

39 minutes ago, chefchris said:

Mike posted two videos of the set up he’s throwing it on which is a tatula 300 6.3 with 20 or 17lb line with a proto drt rod 

I’ll be throwing the one picked up a nameless 790 (2-8oz) and conquest 400 (my tatula 300 is the slow one 4.8:1) braid to mono leader and rigging it floating 

What kind of mono?

Tranx 300hg. You want to have braid with a short 2’ to 3’ mono or fluoro leader in the kelp. 

If you think you’ll eventually start going out on big boats, maybe the Tranx 400 for the extra capacity just in case you hook up with a nice sized tuna. Whatever fits your hands the best tho. 

Fyi, I sort of think you're better off trying to find a 8' rod. Making accurate pitches to small holes in the kelp is how you get a lot of calico bites when they're not on the outer line. It's actually a lot tougher than just regular freshwater flipping and pitching because you've got all of those kelp tendrils running all of those different ways and it's really difficult to find good lanes in which you can actually retrieve your swimbait. 8'6 might just be a little too long. The Phenix 800H USB is a pretty popular rod in SoCal. I think you should be able to find an used one in good condition by checking FB MP or BDoutdoors.com. If I still had mine I'd be happy to send it to you but I gave it to a friend a while ago. Regardless, maybe you could find another 8' rod at a price point you're comfortable with. 

Edited by 5-20

On 5/6/2023 at 12:59 PM, Efrain said:

What kind of mono?

On 5/6/2023 at 1:13 PM, chefchris said:

I don’t know what Mike said in the video, they’re both up 

personally ande big game or momoi mono 

Mike said he's using 17lb or 20lb AbraZx in all situations including the topwater / wake configuration. 

I fished the Tyrant10 for ~3 hours today, rigged with a 12/0 Beast, plus two 2.5 gram weight, one in each side fin. Didn't catch anything though, lol.

Dobyns 908, Calcutta 401D, 25# P-Line PF.

I like the bait. I thought it was more stable sitting on the bottom on slack line than the 9.25" Nates- absolutely doesn't roll over, and the tail kicks at ultra-ultra slow speeds. The latter could be due to the design or simply because it's got a smaller tail for it's size than the Nates.

Edited by maiti

6 hours ago, maiti said:

I fished the Tyrant10 for ~3 hours today, rigged with a 12/0 Beast, plus two 2.5 gram weight, one in each side fin. Didn't catch anything though, lol.

Dobyns 908, Calcutta 401D, 25# P-Line PF.

I like the bait. I thought it was more stable sitting on the bottom on slack line than the 9.25" Nates- absolutely doesn't roll over, and the tail kicks at ultra-ultra slow speeds. The latter could be due to the design or simply because it's got a smaller tail for it's size than the Nates.

How does it feel on that rod? I bought an irod Bailey's magnum swim 8'6 xh 5-12 oz and I feel it is lacking the power to cast it how I want. I spoke to the guys at irod and they said they sell a 20 inch handle for it so I am stoked on that cus this 17 in handle does not feel right for my style of fishing. I threw it for 2 hours last night on a revo beast and 20 lb daiwa floro. Will probably try a 400 size reel and some pline. Thanks for the response. 

@Efrain It feels fine. I am used to fishing big softbaits on the 867 and the 908 though. Many will not like them due to how much they load up on the cast. Handle lengths on both the 867 (I have an older version) and the 908 seem to be ~19" from trigger to butt. Also, I'm 5'8", so that may be a factor too. One thing I've noticed over the years is the heavier the bait, the longer the handle length I want.

Way back when (I think this was in 2012), I received a pre-production model of the Mattlures deadstick trout; still have the bait actually. This is a 13 oz bait. Well, I didn't have a rod to fish it, and production swimbait rods had limited options back then (customs were too expensive for me, they still are). Anyway, long story short, I got a musky rod that turned out to have a fairly short handle, and casting that deadstick bait any distance became a real workout. Fortunately, it was not a cast and retrieve bait. 

13 hours ago, maiti said:

@Efrain It feels fine. I am used to fishing big softbaits on the 867 and the 908 though. Many will not like them due to how much they load up on the cast. Handle lengths on both the 867 (I have an older version) and the 908 seem to be ~19" from trigger to butt. Also, I'm 5'8", so that may be a factor too. One thing I've noticed over the years is the heavier the bait, the longer the handle length I want.

Way back when (I think this was in 2012), I received a pre-production model of the Mattlures deadstick trout; still have the bait actually. This is a 13 oz bait. Well, I didn't have a rod to fish it, and production swimbait rods had limited options back then (customs were too expensive for me, they still are). Anyway, long story short, I got a musky rod that turned out to have a fairly short handle, and casting that deadstick bait any distance became a real workout. Fortunately, it was not a cast and retrieve bait. 

I feel you on the longer handle for heavy baits. I feel that with a 20 inch handle I will be more confident launching it and will be able to fish it like a regular lure. Thanks for the input