Maui fishing help

Hmoob

Getting a chance to visit Maui, any chance any of you have gone there and had gone fishing??? I don't want any charter or paid fishing, just ideas to fish from shore and what kind of equipment to take just to catch anything. Any info is appreciated TIA

Fishing from shore is super fun. I'd bring a LSJ rod and fish off the rocks but if that's not an option then I'd just get a ~7' travel bass spinning setup and either drop shot with gulp sand worms or throw small swimbaits/hard baits like jigpara's. 

Berkely sand worms on a drop shot setup will catch you fish literally everywhere on sandy beaches lol 

Edited by mjs90

4 minutes ago, mjs90 said:

Fishing from shore is super fun. I'd bring a LSJ rod and fish off the rocks but if that's not an option then I'd just get a ~7' travel bass spinning setup and either drop shot with gulp sand worms or throw small swimbaits/hard baits like jigpara's. 

Berkely sand worms on a drop shot setup will catch you fish literally everywhere on sandy beaches lol 

This is perfect, just the exact kind of information I needed!!!! Thank you

Edited by Hmoob

7 minutes ago, Hmoob said:

This is perfect, just the exact kind of information I needed!!!! Thank you

You're welcome. Fishing the drop shot can get you a ton of smaller fish but if you can shore jig/throw jerk baits off the rocks you can catch some wild ish like GT's 

I fished Maui in 2017. I found most of the shoreline very rocky so any time you touched bottom that was the end of the lure you were throwing. The best lure for me was  a 1/2 oz to 1 oz Kastmaster.  Also a curly tailed grub on a jig head worked well. The locals call fishing from the bank with rods smaller than surf rods “whipping”.  I took a 3 piece 7’ med/heavy travel rod with 20lb braid on a 3,000 size reel. If I went back I would take the same set up. You should be able to catch something at the nearest beach access to where you are staying. Good lick

Look up whipping and dunking. These are the two main ways they fish out there. Dunking is similar to Texas rig but use a 3 way swivel with less lb test for the weight so you can break off if you get stuck.

Whipping is with a bubble float the swivel to leader and lure. The bubble float can be filled with water for casting and will keep the bait above the rocks. You can use small baits with this like jighead with grub or even a fly. I will be out there soon on Kauai and then the big island.

Now if you have clear bottom then you can throw anything but it is more rocks and coral.

I’ve fished Kauai and Oahu, but haven’t fished Maui yet. Wish I could help! I know people have success on Maui wading and fishing for Bonefish, dragging small crab and shrimp imitators around the flats is the best bet for catching those guys. 

1 hour ago, Csweitzer said:

I’ve fished Kauai and Oahu, but haven’t fished Maui yet. Wish I could help! I know people have success on Maui wading and fishing for Bonefish, dragging small crab and shrimp imitators around the flats is the best bet for catching those guys. 

I am heading to those two islands again and also fished Maui before. Fun times and great islands.