Using Freshwater Baits in Saltwater & Bait Sink Rates/Buoyancy

DEPS_250

I know for a fact that saltwater is more dense than freshwater, therefore things will tend to 'float' much easier in saltwater than they do in freshwater. With that said, I want to start using freshwater hard baits and glide baits in the salt more.

How does the saltwater effect sink rates and buoyancy/float on freshwater hard baits? Since the saltwater is more dense, I would think that the saltwater would make the bait sink a little slower than what the bait would normally sink in freshwater right? 

Does this mean you have to fish heavier and/or larger baits than what you are accustomed to in order to get the bait to sink fast enough? In other words, do I need to make sure to buy/step up to the larger size or the heavier model when shopping for freshwater baits I want to use in the salt? 

If the bait is too small/light and/or sinks too slow, does this mean that I am going to have to weigh down my baits with lead strips and/or lead wire in order to get them to sink faster or get them to the depth that I need? Should I upgrade to larger or stronger hooks in order to get more weight on the bait? 

Edited by DEPS_250

I would recommend taking a few of the baits you want to use to some saltwater and testing it out. Use heavier hooks (4x+) and split rings (100lb+) which would make a difference. Other than that, a lot of guys like using grenade weights, and suspend dots/strips so I would recommend getting some of those if you think its necessary. 

Yes there is a difference and depending on the bait it can be quite noticeable. I think Glides actually have better action  because of the slower sink rate, however some faster sinking baits really sink about the same.  I have made a few baits that suspend in fresh but end up floating in salt.  I used a little lead tape to adjust the sink rate. 

Start with heavier split rings and hooks since a lot of freshwater glides come with lighter hardware that won't hold a lot of the fish you might hook. You can also add zappu board weights that stick onto the belly. Some of those freshwater glides will become floaters in saltwater without any modifications! :)

If you’re on the east coast it’s not going to change it as much as one might think. Also depends exactly where you’re fishing. I guide redfish, trout, tarpon and other species for a living but these are the three I target most often with glides. If you’re fishing higher end baits most will have stock hardware the will hold up just fine. If you’re unsure of what hardware they use just ask the builder or ask around. Big speckled trout, tarpon, and snook probably eat the big baits the best. Redfish will eat them as well in certain situations.