Any Ryoga Shrapnel Users?

Morph808

Hi, I just got my hands on a Ryoga Shrapnel. Because of it's size, was planning on spooling it with 25lb fluorocarbon to fish the bigger 8" plus soft plastics and lures like Deps 250 and larger. But curious to know if any of you were able to throw much lighter stuff (1.5-2oz) on smaller diameter lines.

They were initially designed to throw frogs and smaller plugs for snakeheads. So I'm sure they can throw smaller swimbaits just fine. They do have a centrifugal brake system that is a little more touchy then their regular magforce system. But you can swap the smaller brakes for the larger ones inside the box and see what fits your casting style more.

1 hour ago, alabamaswimbait said:

I think it is absurd to use the 300 size Daiwa reels for throwing swimbaits unless you are throwing 10+ oz baits all day every day

I think 10oz as the minimum is quite excessive. hahaha

16 minutes ago, lux036 said:

I think 10oz as the minimum is quite excessive. hahaha

Fair enough lol, but they are just so massive I can't really see them being applicable for freshwater bass fishing in general. I had a Luna 300 and that thing was comically large. 

5 minutes ago, alabamaswimbait said:

Fair enough lol, but they are just so massive I can't really see them being applicable for freshwater bass fishing in general. I had a Luna 300 and that thing was comically large. 

I think its more for the larger gearing. Basic conventional bass reels can't handle the weight of the lure on the clutch and gears. At least not for long, till the gears start feeling rough.

9 hours ago, chevro1et said:

I had one, regularly threw 6.8 Keitech w. 8/0 Beast hooks which is a little over 2oz. I found fluorocarbon to be kinda squirrelly off the spool, no problems with copoly. 

Might have to switch to copolymer myself. Currently running fluro and it doesn't come off the spool the smoothest.

• 4 months later...