PB brown trout on S-Waver 120

Brian C

I picked up a S-Waver 120 on my last tackle warehouse order because i have been having a hard time catching any decent size trout with conventional trout gear. I had been seeing a bunch of videos and pictures on Instagram that had big brows with other smaller stocker trout down their throat and it got me thinking, if I throw swimbaits for bass why wouldn't I do it for big trout too. Well after a week or so of throwing the waver around on and off I finally got one to eat. My PB brown trout at 25 1/2". Also it was dark and rainy so the picture is kinda grainy. PXL_20230528_005208042_MP.thumb.jpg.05b1b15ef82767c36d6d2321261df224.jpg

14 hours ago, Schocktrauma said:

Sweet.  Chasing big browns is what got me into swimbait fishing.  It was until years later that I actually put in effort to catch bass on them. Great catch.

So how big of swimbaits did you find to be effective for browns? I was thinking maybe a 6" bait but don't know when they start getting a little too big to get consistent hookups?

I caught one on a 11-in Gladiator it was only 22 and a half inches long.  Gotten a few bites on a 12-in top trout I've been waiting for the river to go back down right now.  It's blown out, but I'm going to try to stick one on a wild beat and the Gara Gara.   My buddy gotten a few rainbows on a 10 inch mag.    I think it's safe to say biggest fish in the river eats whatever it wants. It's a lot easier  fishing a small bait then throwing 10 to  11 oz baits.     

9 hours ago, Brian C said:

So how big of swimbaits did you find to be effective for browns? I was thinking maybe a 6" bait but don't know when they start getting a little too big to get consistent hookups?

I threw a lot of 5-6 inch swimbaits but I have a buddy who trolls 8 inch crankdowns for them.   I was fishing a lot of mountain creek and rivers back then.   I did have a decent brown swirl on an 8 inch bait while I wasfishing for stripers last year. The CL8 bait clacker is a great bait for trout.   I’m pretty sure he originally made the 5 inch version with brown trout in mind.  

Edited by Schocktrauma