2023 monster drive?

Jdondunay209

This question keeps coming up again and again. Unless it's a heavy resistance bait I don't see how the reel size has much to do with weight of the bait. I throw up to 6-7oz on my monster drives and have been doing it on the 2018 model for years. I'm now doing it on the 2023 models as well. 

Edited by Dink whisperer

Finally got to take my Antares DC MD out this past weekend and it was able to handle a Klash 9 and 3:16 Gizzard with no problems. 

Still waiting on my Calcutta Conquest MD, but I believe it should be able to handle just as much as the previous Calcutta Conquest.

9 hours ago, Kennedy1055 said:

Finally got to take my Antares DC MD out this past weekend and it was able to handle a Klash 9 and 3:16 Gizzard with no problems. 

Still waiting on my Calcutta Conquest MD, but I believe it should be able to handle just as much as the previous Calcutta Conquest.

I only have one trip out with the conquest MDs and so far they’re awesome. Much better casting (to me anyways) than the 2018 models, and the fast gear ratio is saweet for the glides. 

As far as line capacity goes, is the 2023 Antares DC MD similar to a 200, 250 or 300 sized swimbait reel from other manufacturers? The reel's spool and therefore the line capacity looks small in comparison to the reel's frame and body. Looks a little off/wonky if you ask me. Which is one reason I was never a fan of the Daiwa Z2020, even though I am a Daiwa guy/Fan Boy. 

I like a high and consistent IPT for glide baits and that usually means packing my reel with as much line as I can, that is as THIN as I can get away with, so I can have as much line as possible left over after a somewhat average/mid to bomb/long distance cast. Therefore, keeping my IPT as high and consistent as possible throughout as much of the length of the retrieve as I can when working the bait back to me.

This usually means being very choosy/picky and making sure I choose a reel that has a large enough line capacity/spool diameter for the weights and styles of baits I want to throw. This also means that I fish a lot of braid to leader for most of my hard baits/glide baits since braid is very thin. Which is why I was a little taken back by this post and the small spool/line capacity on the Antares DC MD when guys were saying that they chuck 6-7oz baits with it.

Honestly, If I was using this reel for glide bait duties, I would try and use the thinnest 40LB braid that I could find/get away with as a main line and than tie on a 5-6' leader of mono/copoly/shock leader, in order to have enough line capacity left over for a high and consistent IPT. Since the Antares DC MD has the DC braking system in it already, I shouldn't be too worried about backlashing with a thin braid main line and losing my expensive baits. 

On the other hand, I have never tried a Shimano reel with the DC braking system before so technically, I wouldn't know if I would be able to minimize backlashes all the time. Therefore, how good is the DC braking system with braided main line and will it eliminate backlashes as long as you have it dialed in correctly for the line and lure weights you are throwing?

Edited by DEPS_250