Stor Gädda (Big Pike)

CG_Fishes

With my success from Tuesday, I decided it would be worthwhile to get out again, this time in a new section of shoreline.

I found a portion of shoreline with almost 2 miles of fishable area and relatively difficult access. I hopped on my bike and rode the 3 miles there, a difficult feat when the bike is stuck in high gear and hiking another mile or so in through the woods without a trail. 

I arrived at the sea and it was full of bird life, which I took as a good sign. Unfortunately the first half mile of shoreline I fished was unproductive, likely due to its lack of visibility and depth. I made my way out of the basin and into the sea more and immediately started catching fish. With the same average size in the low 20s I wasn't upset, but deffinitely looking for something bigger. I made a cast a few feet off of a reed bed into some deeper water and started slowly retrieving, feeling a tick. I set and instantly knew this was the biggest fish I have interacted with here so far. After 5 minutes of the fish pulling me through reeds and making runs I finally landed it, I didn't have a tape but using my hand (~8") it was somewhere between 32-35", one of my biggest pike ever.

20230610_183427.thumb.jpg.5b726f88b53e0878b04b35eaada6a3ed.jpg

20230610_183218.thumb.jpg.b5b19b29418f9b41548b30195ddbb311.jpg

20230610_183225.thumb.jpg.ee14cdeb0228a6145a22623ada4f58e9.jpg

I continued fishing the rest of the shoreline, catching a total of 9 fish and missing/losing 4 others, my most productive day of pike fishing ever! 

20230610_190847.thumb.jpg.6b36a7386a2627287047281391ddca3c.jpg

20230610_200716.thumb.jpg.6dafb22aceb0de34dd3b825e557fbc87.jpg

For the time being I have been borrowing a rod/reel from work until the one I ordered comes in. That has presented an issue as it is a spinning reel with what I can assume is 20lb braid. I have lost every lure I have used to thing I shouldn't be breaking off on, like reed stems. I am now out of mid-range soft baits which is quite disappointing, I will have to see what the local shops have. I can't wait to have a set up where I can feel confident in my line again! Overall a great trip but I think I am done until I can get my setup together

20230610_204848.thumb.jpg.7fb20409ef80e553268447de2c3701eb.jpg

19 minutes ago, FishDr said:

That’s an epic day! Is the section of the Baltic your fishing mostly freshwater or just a bit brackish?

The fish nerd in me is curious about the internship you landed. I’ll admit that the wheels in my mind started spinning.

It was my best ever, but I hope to beat it while I'm here. I don't know the exact salinty of this basin, but the one we have been sampling has been around 3ppt, I believe this one is saltier so I would guess closer to 4 or 5ppt just based on proximity to the sea. It's saline enough for my sinking hard baits to float. The coastal fish assemblage is almost entirely composed of "freshwater" species, Zander, Pike, Perch, Roach, Bream, etc. 

My internship is with the Swedish Univeristy of Agricultural Sciences, Department of Aquatic Resources (SLU-Aqua). The professor who I am working with back home is a visiting professor here and found a way to send me over for the summer, partially to work on my research project, and partially to be a research assistant for the researchers and PhD students here. It's quite a unique circumstance but it's been absolutely incredible, we hope that I am the first of many from my university to spend their summer here!

Edited by CG_Fishes

Great way to spend the summer! I hope it ends up being an incredibly beneficial trip.

I don't usually carry a tape, but I made 1"marks up the side of one of my usual fishing poles with nail polish. Now I always know how long the rush are.

1 hour ago, Big Epp said:

Great way to spend the summer! I hope it ends up being an incredibly beneficial trip.

I don't usually carry a tape, but I made 1"marks up the side of one of my usual fishing poles with nail polish. Now I always know how long the rush are.

Thank you, even if the next 2 months are duds I have learned enough for a lifetime in the past 4 weeks

I almost always carry a tape, but didn't have space to fly one over and haven't bought one here. Since this isn't my rod I'm not going to mess with it.