Disappearing lure?

Brian C

So I would say I'm fairly new to swimbait fishing still. Started about 5 years ago but took 4 year break lol. Well anyways I have started throwing them whenever I get a chance lately. I haven't had any luck with fish in the limited bank access I've had lately but I have been having some problems that are taking my confidence slowly. A few weeks ago I got a spro Chad shad and I was really liking the action buuuut I casted it off second time using it. I think I tied a bad knot so I'll take the blame for that one. So I ordered another one and took it out a couple days ago and then again today. Well I threw it for about 30 minutes and then made a cast. I worked the bait for about 10 feet then it was just gone?!?! Twitch twitch twitch, twitch with no lure?  Didn't feel a bite, wasn't close to cover, didn't snap off on the cast, I honestly have no idea what happened. From the research I have done the lake doesn't have musky or pike. Since I casted the one off I had been checking my line pretty constantly. Also it was a clean break. No frays or knot bends or anything like that. I prefer braid to leader for most of my fishing so I have been throwing 65lb bread to 25 lb mono. Any ideas as to what happened or anyone had something similar happen? 

On 6/18/2023 at 10:27 PM, Swimbait freak said:

This is happened to me before and it’s because my knot slipped luckily, the bait was a floater

On 6/18/2023 at 10:21 PM, bassbass said:

Maybe a bad knot and it just slipped as you where working it.

Wouldn't the line look a little kinked or something? The line looks clean. Like it was just cut. 

31 minutes ago, FishDr said:

Are there any bowfin in the waters you fished? They’ve got a decent set of teeth.

28 minutes ago, bassbass said:

Yes, and gar, and gators.

The only thing with teeth in there are walleye. I suppose it could have been one but it would have had to perfectly head shot the bait and line cause I didn't feel a thing 

Maybe a knick somewhere on the line and it barely held up for one last cast. Then during the retrieve it just gave out. 

Sounds like a freak occurrence. If it's the same setup that u casted off the first one, maybe respool fresh line and check your guides while you're at it 

The only time I ever had that happen was when I was learning to tie braid to leader and the connection knot unraveled. No indication of getting hung up or bit off, just suddenly no line tension and no leader or bait. 

8 hours ago, Brian C said:

The only thing with teeth in there are walleye. I suppose it could have been one but it would have had to perfectly head shot the bait and line cause I didn't feel a thing 

The mystery remains - in all my years of fishing for walleye I’ve never had one cut through line. Their teeth, while sharp, are more like ice picks than knives - designed to puncture and hold prey rather than slicing their prey into bite-sized chunks.

I would lean towards the unseen line damage hypothesis with a modification. The damage was likely farther up the line than 1.5-2x the length of the rod because that line would have been under stress during the cast and would have broken then. Damage farther along the line would have experienced the casting stress but could still cause a break during a regular retrieve.