how did Japan produce a record bass?

hookedup

I heard that Biwa is crazy deep in parts. I also recently read an article, or it was an interview and the world record bass from Lake Biwa was caught on live bait. Manabu Kurita actually knew where the bass was bedding all spring. He often visited the bass to feed it live bluegill to get her all plump and ready for the big catch. Closer to the end of Spring, he went to her house, knocked on the door with a fresh bluegill on a plate, She nailed it, and end of story. Anyone else read this interview?

I heard that Biwa is crazy deep in parts. I also recently read an article, or it was an interview and the world record bass from Lake Biwa was caught on live bait. Manabu Kurita actually knew where the bass was bedding all spring. He often visited the bass to feed it live bluegill to get her all plump and ready for the big catch. Closer to the end of Spring, he went to her house, knocked on the door with a fresh bluegill on a plate, She nailed it, and end of story. Anyone else read this interview?

Ya its over 300 ft deep. Its crazy to think it's over twice the size of our biggest lake here. But that is definitely the type of lake to grow a giant bass. Moosehead Lake here in Maine is gonna be a trohpy smallie heaven :D

I also heard that he fed the fish there and has been doing so for years. But still for a fish to get that big it has everything going for it. We basically hand feed the fish here in California with trout stockings. We also have some really big deep lakes but most of them are up north where the winters are too cold or the lakes are over run with other species of bass like Spots. Seems like Biwa really has everything going for it.

I also think it has to do with the fact that they are required to keep any bass caught in Japan (at least that is my understanding). It keeps the numbers low and allows the remaining stock to get really big.

Down in South Texas, part of the reason the bass get big on Lake Falcon is because of the gill netting (I don't have any study.

That's a good theory. State record freshwater striper in nc came from the same mountain lake two times even though no striper s are stocked there. Very few from from Georgia slip through the dam and swim up. Relatively few striper s make it all the way to that lake but when they do they get humongous fast. Last state record out of there is bigger than the saltwater record in nc which is pretty strange to people on the coast(where the striper run in the winter is huge).

I also think it has to do with the fact that they are required to keep any bass caught in Japan (at least that is my understanding). It keeps the numbers low and allows the remaining stock to get really big.

Down in South Texas, part of the reason the bass get big on Lake Falcon is because of the gill netting (I don't have any study.

That's a good theory. State record freshwater striper in nc came from the same mountain lake two times even though no striper s are stocked there. Very few from from Georgia slip through the dam and swim up. Relatively few striper s make it all the way to that lake but when they do they get humongous fast. Last state record out of there is bigger than the saltwater record in nc which is pretty strange to people on the coast(where the striper run in the winter is huge).

Hey....that's my lake...shhhhhh....it's also one of 3 lakes to ever produce a 10lb smallie, but now the smallie fishing sucks there. But yes, very good point. No stripers in that lake but the water that runs into it, is from a world class freshwater striper fishery and the dam broke on that lake a few years ago and they just let water flow over it. Heard from plenty of people stripers were making their way down the river.

But yes, same point as the largemouth on Biwa. People asked me what that big 66lb striper was eating in that lake....my answer "whatever the #$!$ it wanted to" ;)

Is it just me.

No it's not. I think the wr is legit but yeah he's fos when he talks about the size and numbers of big bass swimming there.

why is it so hard to believe?

no one knows how big a bass can get. theres plenty of food. just because it hasnt been caught yet doesnt mean that it doesnt exist.

in TT's Biwa article, roughly only 1/4 of the lake is pressured.

I admit that I could be totally wrong but talking about 30 pound bass, and schools of 20 pound bass just sounds off to me.

I think it's more than possible. We've all seen the pics of the 20 inch bass that are hitting 10 and 11lbs....think about a fish that hits close to 30 inches :o The sky is the limit in my opinion on that lake.

Your talking about a lake that has a massive amount of area, forage, and little pressure with the largemouth as the apex predator free to eat whatever it likes......Dottie hit 25lbs in tiny lake Dixon...wonder how big they are getting in a 165,00 acre lake? I'd sure like to be over there finding out :)

I admit that I could be totally wrong but talking about 30 pound bass, and schools of 20 pound bass just sounds off to me.

Me too. If there was you'd think there would be quite a few more 17+ being caught. Especially if the lake is as lightly pressured as stated somewhere above.

Me too. If there was you'd think there would be quite a few more 17+ being caught. Especially if the lake is as lightly pressured as stated somewhere above.

How can you guys doubt this when the world record was over 22lbs at just 29'' long!

To put this into perspective, George Perry's world record tie was 32 1/2'' long :shock:...

That right there is reason enough for me to EASILY believe the Japanese have seen bass likely over 25lbs. And as far as schools of 20's go, I'm not sure I've ever seen that really quoted, I recall an interview with Manabu stating similar occurances, if the dude has caught an 18+ and a 22+ and is willing to almost completely discredit those catches in order to drive himself to the extremes as motivation to catch even bigger, that is a hard guy to doubt.

Not trying to argue, nor am I looking to change my mind just saying I think he stretched the truth. Not saying he's a bad guy either.

Colby if you knew of fish that were much bigger than your state record would you spend your time targeting a fish that was about the same size?

P.S. I think George Perry, and Louis Spray were both full of chit too.