Spiral Wrap Question

t_tatham19

I'm ordering a LDC rod, and was wondering since I reel right handed, I should get the rod wrapped to the right, but when I cast, I hold the rod so the handle of the reel is straight up, so I then figured I should get it wrapped to the left because the line would flow easier that way compared to the right..

If that made no sense, I'm sorry, i explained it the best I could :lol:

Thanks,

Trevor

Hey Trevor. Ben explained it to me that if you reel left, it's spiraled left, and if you reel right it's spiraled right because the handle will help protect the guides if you drop your rod. That rod will cast like a champ regardless. Ben knows how to make them and I'm sure he'll explain it better than me. Hope you stick some fish on it soon.

Brandon

Hey Trevor. Ben explained it to me that if you reel left, it's spiraled left, and if you reel right it's spiraled right because the handle will help protect the guides if you drop your rod.

That and when you lay the rod on the deck (handle up usually) the guide(s) that make the transition from the top of the blank to the bottom will be up. What hand you cast with doesn't matter, what side of the rod the reel handle is on is what matters.

i reel with my left, but cast the way a righty does. basically, i fish my baitcaster in the same orientation as a spinning rod. never understood the role reversal of hands b/w spinners and baitcasters. anyway, to your point, i have had no problems casting with a spiral left from a righthander's orientation. ben assured me of this when i ordered the rod and he was right.

It has nothing to do with the side that the handle of the reel is on. Just want to disagree with the others. It has to do with how you cast....If you cast from over your RIGHT shoulder, then the guides should be spiraled LEFT as this is the natural rotation your wrist will want to take through casting. The purpose is to eliminate the need to roll your wrist to the left to achieve a smooth cast. With the guides spiraling left you can achieve a smooth cast by simply keeping your wrist and the reel totally upright through the entire cast.

This is especially good for our big ol' swimbait rods and reels...Chucking them all day long is easier IMHO with a spiral wrapped rod.

It has nothing to do with the side that the handle of the reel is on. Just want to disagree with the others. It has to do with how you cast....If you cast from over your RIGHT shoulder, then the guides should be spiraled LEFT as this is the natural rotation your wrist will want to take through casting. The purpose is to eliminate the need to roll your wrist to the left to achieve a smooth cast. With the guides spiraling left you can achieve a smooth cast by simply keeping your wrist and the reel totally upright through the entire cast.

This is especially good for our big ol' swimbait rods and reels...Chucking them all day long is easier IMHO with a spiral wrapped rod.

That's what I was debating on. That to me makes A LOT more sense because I cast over my right shoulder, and to me wrapped to the left with that casting motion just seems like a natural flow for the line during the cast!

Thanks!

So your opinion is that the direction the two transitional (2nd and 3rd)guides spiral from the first (above blank) guide to the remainder (under blank) guides is somehow related to line flow dynamics and which shoulder you cast over? Interesting. I have several rods built by Rich Forhan and his only question as far as direction of spiral was "what side is the reel handle on?"

So your opinion is that the direction the two transitional (2nd and 3rd)guides spiral from the first (above blank) guide to the remainder (under blank) guides is somehow related to line flow dynamics and which shoulder you cast over? Interesting. I have several rods built by Rich Forhan and his only question as far as direction of spiral was "what side is the reel handle on?"

Exactly. I feel like having the rod wrapped right, during the cast, the line will go against the natural flow, decreasing casting distance, compared to the rod being wrapped to the left.

Exactly. I feel like having the rod wrapped right, during the cast, the line will go against the natural flow, decreasing casting distance, compared to the rod being wrapped to the left.

What does your rod builder say? I once knew a builder that used a big first guide because he said it helped reduce line slap and drag. Once I pointed out how small the first guide (levelwind) the line went through, he changed his thinking.

What does your rod builder say? I once knew a builder that used a big first guide because he said it helped reduce line slap and drag. Once I pointed out how small the first guide (levelwind) the line went through, he changed his thinking.

Ben Dehnadi (Ldc) says right since I reel right, but to me I think it should be left. He's the expert for a reason. I'm just a curious person and I want to fish a left wrap reeling right b/c the way I cast

Only time it's shown a difference to me and really makes a difference is depending on your retrieve and where you keep your rod tip.

If you highstick or keep your tip up to keep a bait up or fish from shore a lot spiral wrapped is the way to go. Keeps the line on the guides.

If you fish from a boat and your rod tip down and almost touching water or even in the water at times then traditional is the way to go. Line will be mostly pulled up and rest on the guides on top of the blank.

They all freakin work and have been proven.