Large Rat

Riley201dc

Looking for some thoughts and open discussion on large rats. I have a toxic micro mink and have caught a few fish on it. Was thinking of grabbing something a little larger with more drawing power. Open to options. I don't need or want some hype bait for $300. Was looking at fishable options that aren't crazy expensive. First one that caught my eye was the XL nez rat. I will be fishing the california delta primarily. Thanks

For the budget friendly, you can’t go wrong with a Spro Rat 50 size. Definitely a proven bait from coast to coast. 

Another great option, if you really want to step your game up is a @SacPig916 Large Mischief 2pc Rat. For the money, you get bait that’s built to take on large fish. Plus the optional “Booty Shaker”, has proven drawing power.  Plus Michael is a great person to deal with. 

Those  are just  two baits, at different ends of the spectrum and price points that come to my mind. There are so many options to choose from, that won’t break the bank and still give you a quality handmade bait. Everyone has their favorites for sure, and searching for the perfect “rat” can take you down a long path. 

Keep your eyes on the Black Market, there is always some great baits popping up at some great prices.

Large or xl nez is a great option, subtle knock, durable and Scott is one of the nicest guys around 

cl8 baby possum is a staple for me and a lot of NE guys especially the crankdown version 

Rago the OG of rats has some nice options for a fair price 

toxic muskrat is pretty dope, bigger profile and unique joint, casts stupid far too. 

The Nez XXL is becoming my all time favorite rat and I've used almost all of the bigger ones out there. If you email Scott, he will custom make you one in whatever colors you want for around $140 shipped. You have to have the right gear for it though. The body alone is almost 9" not including the tail and they weigh in at about 6.7oz. 

Screenshot_20230901_115227_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Dink whisperer

4 hours ago, wtrwsel said:

ChefChris, you still making your rats? Still fish with the ones you made and its gonna be hard to top that 12 I caught with it.  

Yes and some new bigger ones in the works. That fish was amazing! 

IMG_7892.png

• 4 months later...