Chunky Crankdown

Hoosier_Hawgz

While I was starting on the paint for my creek chub glide, I had the idea to try working on a medium-sized crankdown. Where I fish has had some grass begin popping up from the heat lately, so I wanted something bigger than a standard crankbait that I could burn past those patches to pull those fish out.

Since I had so many difficulties figuring out the weight with the thin profile in the glide, I made sure to keep the body much thicker for this bait. I also kept the facial detail to a minimum just for simplicity’s sake and it’s all ready for paint now! 

IMG_6448.jpeg

IMG_6449.jpeg

IMG_6447.jpeg

Thanks fellas! 

@danthefisherman I’m glad you appreciate it! Haha my cuts for the tail block didn’t quite line up right so I had some extra material to play around with. I probably spent as much time shaping it as I did shaping and carving the rest of the bait! 

18 minutes ago, Hoosier_Hawgz said:

Thanks fellas! 

@danthefisherman I’m glad you appreciate it! Haha my cuts for the tail block didn’t quite line up right so I had some extra material to play around with. I probably spent as much time shaping it as I did shaping and carving the rest of the bait! 

I’d be curious to see if the shape helps to catch water and make the tail kick at slower speeds. Typically a straight tail is “dead” in the sense that it relies on the head movement to give it action.

2 hours ago, danthefisherman said:

I’d be curious to see if the shape helps to catch water and make the tail kick at slower speeds. Typically a straight tail is “dead” in the sense that it relies on the head movement to give it action.

…I’ll admit I’m a bit ashamed that I hadn’t thought about any differences to action the tail shape would make. I just had the material available to make a more flowing style of hard tail than I see in other baits, so I wanted to try it. I could see how it could possibly catch water easier than a standard flat tail though, now that you’ve mentioned it.

It’s currently got a base coat of white on it but once paint is finished I’ll report back on what I find! 

Alright folks of the Grass Roots, I need some help. My painting skills are still developing, so it’s been a little bit of a struggle with painting this thing. Mainly problems with paint consistency and PSI, but that’s just going to take time and more experience. But now I need some opinions on the paint scheme. 

Here’s what I’m going for, a bluegill caught from the pond where I fish 90% of the time- 

IMG_5837.thumb.jpeg.699c25cd37be19e368d465662fcc0092.jpeg

And here’s where the bait is at- 

IMG_6497.thumb.jpeg.2ebc2a778771c0cb8e79f8b9f0bf42a4.jpeg

So my question for everyone is this; where do I go from here? I don’t think the colors are blended very well, but I’m unsure if I should try to blend them better or if I need to lay more colors over the top of them. And there will be more colors added to the chin, tail, and face areas, but I wanted to get some opinions on the body colors before I continue. 

Thank you in advance to anyone who chimes in, I appreciate you all! 

Check this out: https://www.taxidermy.net/ken/?p=1070

Painting and finishing is an area of weakness for me, but I used this as a guide and got my best bluegill yet. Adjust the colors as you see fit to best match your specific bluegill.

Edited by Big Epp
Typo

On 9/13/2023 at 9:23 PM, Big Epp said:

Check this out: https://www.taxidermy.net/ken/?p=1070

Painting and finishing is an area of weakness for me, but I used this as a guide and got my best bluegill yet. Adjust the colors as you see fit to best match your specific bluegill.

Thanks Victor! That looks like an awesome little guide, and now I’ve got most of their freshwater patterns bookmarked to find them when I need to. 

That bluegill of yours does look sweet! It’s that time of the year where it should get whacked pretty easily. 

7 hours ago, Hoosier_Hawgz said:

I’m still figuring out airbrushing, 

Me too man! I've been thinning, mixing, and using paint trom walmart too lately. I think it's fun working with custom mixes to try and get specific colors.

And great start. It blows me away what some people (on here) can do with an airbrush. Some of it looks like it might swim away!