Glide sticking to one side

80HD_brain

Hi all, I’m brand new to the bait making hobby. I have a mold made of my full master with no joint.

I decided to go with a V hinge and pin method. The front half of the bait is 3.8” and the back half is 3.7. Should I move the cut back so that there’s more length in the front half?

After Casting and testing, I had to sand a lot off of one side (probably wasn’t symmetrical) to stop the bait from locking up. I solved that issue, but now the bait doesn’t straighten out after a chop or glide, and when I try to get it to chop in the other direction it stays to one side unless I give very slow reels. I don’t think it’s locking up, but it doesn’t want to change directions.

I’ve played a lot with placement of weights and the depth of my hinges, but can’t seem to figure it out. Where would you start?

For me it's not about the length of each section but the weight. 

On a glide each half needs to sink or low float at the same rate when they're not attached together.  Each section needs to sink or low float,  level or the joint can bind from side to side and or from top to bottom.

Make sure if you're using screw eyes that they are tight and level and the pin has a little play inside them so they don't hang up on each other.  Check to make sure part of the body in the joint area isn't hanging up somewhere.  Check to see if the screw eye's are rubbing the body in the eye pocket. Glidebait swim issues are usually related to the joint area.   My .02, hope this helps...  Pics would help, with the bait together and the sections apart

2 hours ago, azfisher said:

On a glide each half needs to sink or low float at the same rate when they're not attached together.  Each section needs to sink or low float,  level or the joint can bind from side to side and or from top to bottom.

Make sure if you're using screw eyes that they are tight and level and the pin has a little play inside them so they don't hang up on each other.  Check to make sure part of the body in the joint area isn't hanging up somewhere.  Check to see if the screw eye's are rubbing the body in the eye pocket. Glidebait swim issues are usually related to the joint area.   My .02, hope this helps...  Pics would help, with the bait together and the sections apart

Thank you for your help! They definitely don’t sink at the same rate, I’ll make that adjustment and see. I’ll also double check my hinge slots. I’ll post some picture when I get back around the bait.

On 9/13/2023 at 6:04 PM, azfisher said:

1 hour ago, flaswimbaiter said:

When that happened to me, which was often, it was normally a joint issue. Don’t be discouraged, glides are pain to get tuned right. The weight, joint and line tie all have to be set up right or it won’t glide or glide well.

So I flattened out my front joint and the swim got better, but still very broke. I widened my hinge slots and played with different hinge pin thicknesses. It was still broke. Added a tail and it fixed everything. Will post video behind this

You didn’t mention the tail. That’s like a rudder and depending on the material, the size and shape can greatly influence the baits action. I learned this from an experienced bait maker who was helping me when my bait would not cut back-and-forth at all.

Edited by flaswimbaiter

4 hours ago, flaswimbaiter said:

You didn’t mention the tail. That’s like a rudder and depending on the material, the size and shape can greatly influence the baits action. I learned this from an experienced bait maker who was helping me when my bait would not cut back-and-forth at all.

That’s my fault. My wife even suggested I put the tail on and I shot her down. I can’t believe that was the missing piece, though it makes perfect sense.