smallmouth specific rigging

Roger

Caught some big smallies on some 4 and 5 inch beast hook style softs. Hookup ratio was less than great.  I’ve had them strike some giant treble baits and I want to fish some similar sized softs (8”+ paddle tails) but I know they are hardly ever gonna get that 10/0 beast hook. 

Should I Butch Brown them? Stinger a treble near the back? Trying to think about whether a smallie strikes the head of a big bait or the tail… Any experience?

A lot of guys run a small treble off the bend on the beast hook (slide the eye of the treble over the beast hook point, insert into bait and secure into the bait) 

another option is to run a line thru with a treble thru whatever bait you want. dIY line thru tube or there’s kits you can buy. TW sells em. Use the link above if you buy em. 

the swimbait Canada guys have some sick rigging stuff for citizens and other softies as their targeting smallies, it’s on their IG Page