Not even enough for first last

CG_Fishes

Yesterday was the Annual Alumni Tournament for my school's Bass Team. Last year my team placed 2nd, this year there was only one goal, 1st. The teams of this tournament are randomized with one current undergrad and one alumni fishing together. Luckily I was able to get on a boat with the homie @jmm_4. While everyone else was on their fast and fancy bass boats, we ran an old Crestliner 16ft, putting us at an immediate disadvantage. 

We started the day without any plans, neither of us had even targetted bass in months. Our plan was just to go out and have fun and hopefully catch some fish. 

We ran all over the lake throughout the day picking up a fish here or there, almost always on different baits, but two fish in the bag came on the magdraft and magslowl, something I was stoked on. 

As the day was ending we got on a pattern with some shallow fish, Jake was throwing a finnesse jig and I was burning a chatterbait with a 6" trailer.

At the beginning of the day we realized we didn't have a net and decided we would just commit. Throughout the day we had no issue, landing every hooked fish including 2 Pike and a monster Pickerel. As the clock was nearing time Jake made a cast to a fallen tree and was hooked up. We were looking to replace a 1lber and immediately knew this would cull. As we brought it closer we realized this fish would put our best 5 over 20 and give us a serious shot at winning. It got boatside, I went to grab it and the jig popped out. Immediate heartbreak, I tried to grab it but wiffed. There was nothing more that we could do.

We went back to weigh in and made 3rd with 17.96, missing out on the money by 0.8 and first by just over 4lbs. That last fish would've made us seriously competetive. 

At the end of the day, I am proud of how we fished and what we put together. It was seriously some of the most fun I've had during a tournament. That first place finish still eludes me, but I'm 4/6 on podium finishes

20231015_151857.thumb.jpg.5c81dc2c0b8958c4b1b5348501741662.jpg

20231015_113836.thumb.jpg.8bcc6ff8e40ec28f19bef748b938382e.jpg

20231015_083432(0).thumb.jpg.30107790162677f163c6d4034e71738a.jpg

20231015_065343.thumb.jpg.dff59b6638958abed72c1f3485717267.jpg

Congrats on having a great day of fishing. 

BTW, I wouldn’t necessarily say fishing out of a crestliner was a disadvantage. Lots of tournaments have been won out of old aluminum boats against guys with much nicer and faster boats.

Someone is always going to have better gear than the other people in the field.